Chapter-56 {Into the murk}

A night bathed in starlight; Nandini snuggled into her warm quilt gazing the sky. Bonfire beside was heating the mist and golden view couldn't look more beautiful. She smiled instinctively. Night hadn't felt this calm in a long time. Her eyes roamed around to find everyone fast asleep after a day long wayfare. Only one person was missing and he was surely not the reason behind her lost sleep. Nandini sighed deep making herself believe that she couldn't be bothered. Manik had chosen not to sleep because he thought someone needed to keep a watch. Nandini was again angry thinking about the man who could never be elementary. There was a furnace inside her continuously burning her heart. His presence had brought this conflict. She was at peace with her heart at grill. 

Getting up, she walked towards creek. Its sound was somewhat a lullaby. Her eyes roamed needlessly to find the man who had pledged to be only subject in her mind. Her eyes caught a glimpse of him as he laid on grand branch. It seemed like a swing tree had made. His eyes were closed and his arms made a pillow for his big head. Nandini walked past him not wanting to wake him up. She didn't need words at the moment. She stretched her brows trying to get him off her mind. She stood at rim of creek gazing the steady water. 

Manik opened his eyes once he sensed her still. She was standing at edge of creek with her arms folded across her chest. Her wisps had frost as mist bathed her. His heart swelled as he sighed deep containing the urge of reaching her and holding close. She was right in front of his eyes, that was enough for now. Her stance was still stiff. He knew she hadn't forgiven him yet. 

Nandini stepped on rock in water and that was cue for Manik to get up. He walked towards creek while she was busy playing hopscotch in wetland. His eyes didn't miss a single move of her as he walked stealthily towards her. 

"You would slip," He yelled as she lost her balance a bit. She jumped in her place hearing his panicked voice while he jumped into knee level water. Her cloths drenched as splashes of it soaked her. His arms secured her instantly as he climbed her down that rock. Everything happened in blink of eyes that Nandini failed to understand what was the urgency. All she knew now she stood in cold water drenched with his warm clutch soothing her skin. 

"Are you mad?" He asked panicked while she wiped her wet wisps off her face. 

"Are you mad?" She asked baffled. 

He kept glaring her while she demanded answer for the little stunt. 

"Who does what you were doing on those rocks?" He said gritting his teeth. 

"You were about to slip," He added and she huffed in anger. Her body wriggled under his clutch as she tried to come out of his warm touch. 

"I was not going to slip," She cleared and he looked at her in disbelief. 

"There is no constant need to tell me off for everything I do," She said and his eyes softened. She surely wasn't talking about what just happened. She was phrasing her hurt in vague words. She stole a glance of him, maybe she needed to know if he was listening her. His touch firmed around her waist as he stepped closer. His breath fanned her forehead while her attempt to get out of his grip fainted. 

"Nandini," He started to say after a long breath. He had a lot to make up for. 

"I am sleepy," She interrupted. He didn't budge and she waited. 

He nodded and planted a firm kiss on her forehead before letting her go. 

She walked out of water disheartened. He didn't even try to make her stay. It was true how she didn't want to listen to him but she did want to him to say something. She punished her lip in utter fury as she walked back to bonfire.