Chapter- 68{Before he fastens it}

Streets were dimly lit in the milky mist. Manik's horse neighed and he knew it was tired after a long journey back home. He patted its neck and got off it. He could walk to the palace. His steps were urgent as he took the final turn towards the big mansion where she must be asleep. It was an entire day since he had seen her face, it was hours since he had breathed without feeling the ache in his heart. The guards at the door opened the gates for him and he handed the rein of his horse to one of the guards. 

Lights of her room were off and he couldn't wait to hold her in arms. With each passing day, he was realizing how she had become the sole reason of his existence. If she wasn't there, he didn't know what he was for. He was alive for her. In all these years of his extant, he finally knew why he survived. He turned the knob and pushed open the door. Her room was cold and he knew within a second how she wasn't there. He could read her warmth without even looking at her. Clock showed two in the morning and he wondered where would she be. It didn't take much time for him to realize where she was and a smile adorned his lips as he rushed out of that palace. 

________________

The wood crackled in the fireplace and Nandini stirred in her sleep. The warm mattress embraced her more as she shifted on his pillow. His cottage was bathing in orange of fire as she slept there all cuddled up in his bed. Manik entered the cottage stealthily and found it all warmed up. The small kitchen had something cooked on the stove while a book was left opened on the single chair beside fireplace. He closed it and turned towards his bed to find her fast asleep. He sighed deep as he gazed her calm face. Walking to his bed, he took in her soothing presence. How he had missed her entire day! He bent down and kissed her temple tenderly. She smiled sweet in her slumber as if acknowledged him. His fingers brushed the stray wisps off her face. 

Manik walked to the closet and took off his dirty overcoat. Discarding his upper body clothes, he walked to the bed. He needed the healing only she could provide. He knew since always how he was outlandish for this world. Every time he walked amid people, he felt more empty. She was the only one with whom he felt home.    

It felt like sin as he touched her warm flesh with his cold hands. Nandini flinched and then woke up in haste as he wrapped his hard cold arms around her. He was freezing cold. She shivered as she looked into his ached eyes. A smile played on her lips and he reciprocated it. They both kept looking into each other's eyes for minutes without uttering a word. His flesh started to warm over, his soul started to thaw out and he leaned in where he could sip the life off her lips. She closed her eyes and he kissed her softly. Soon enough, there was no space for frost amid them and they burned in same fire which stood for life. Her eyes scanned his as he parted. His arm was her headrest and his body her quilt. 

"How was your day?" She asked caressing his cheek. 

"Today was no day," He answered kissing her cheek tenderly. His words always had been puzzling. 

"The day starts now," He said and turned on his back gathering her along in his arms. She rolled over and adjusted her head on his chest while he sighed in content. 

"Your work, is it done?" She asked knowing how he was away for no work but for his inner turmoil. 

He didn't speak for few minutes while she didn't wonder why he hadn't. She could feel in his chest as she heard his heartbeats. 

"There was no work," He answered when her eyelids were getting heavier. She did hear him but chose not to ask any further. She knew he needed this sleep more than her. She curled up more into him while he covered them both in quilt. Soon enough, his breaths were even and she allowed herself to dive into deep slumber. 

___________________

Nandini looked at him for nth time as she dried her wet hair with his towel. He was pretending to be asleep, she knew. She knew his each move. She knew when he woke up early morning and kept gazing her. She knew when he chose to pretend he was asleep just to see her carry out her morning chores. She bit her lower lip as she realized how intimate the detailing were. She felt closer to him as she felt his piercing gaze on her back. she knew how intently he was looking at her.