Chapter-57 {Alternate Tophet}

A tacky wooden inn let out some manly giggles. It was a refugee village of North east. Men suited in best of worst times chatted over drink. Smoke of cigar fogged the ambiance to an extent where it was hard to read those crafty faces. 

"Aaahaa! Here comes our stock," One of suited men said as server put maiden bottle of just arrived stock. 

"I could not love this time more," Other one said as he poured the wine into his glass. 

"Though, it's hard to pretend that you are hating it," Third of them said and they all laughed out loud owing to poorly placed joke. 

Local mafia was new fetish. They grabbed the opportunity like a hungry white shark and placed themselves in a place where local people had to bow down to them for little mercies. This refugee village ran on those mercies alone. Hundreds of people were on cruel lenity of these mafia who gave them food in return of some bone aching labour. They had conveniently made people believe how only they could help them when their government ditched. Dictator filled pockets of this syndicate and indirectly bought the helpless public. 

A man came inside running and disturbed the hearty moments of those men. 

"There's some activity on border," He informed and three of them immediately picked up their rifles to leave the inn. 

___________________

Manik cleared the bush off his way to see the path ahead. It was almost evening. He turned around to see Mr Murthy following him. It was an hour or two since Mr Murthy was active participant of this aimless wayfare. Manik frowned and resumed his walk. He was not sure what was up with Mr Murthy.  

Nandini clutched Aashi's hand tight as Aashi fumbled in her steps. Aashi had high fever since morning. Rainy night didn't do much favors on them. Nandini was losing her mind worrying about the girl next to her. Her temperature wasn't down-sloping at all. 

Manik and Aryan looked looked into some conversation as they stood at crossroads. Trails were their paths and luck was only guide. 

"I think we should take  a break," Nandini mumbled and decided to tell the same to Manik. 

"No," Aashi didn't let her. 

"We took one just half an hour back," She stated the fact. Aashi was somewhat sad about being the the one who was slowing down the journey. 

"It doesn't matter. You need rest," Nandini said firmly. 

"I am not tired, believe me," Aashi pleaded and Nandini decided to call it a day after few meters. There was no way she was going to risk Aashi's health. 

Manik looked at her and then at Aashi. His eyes were worried while his tongue was churlish. Nandini knew worry was taking a toll on him. 

"You Scampcrab," He yelled yet again and pointed towards a lazy Jas. Jas was the last one in trail. 

"Stop playing around and work those feet," He barked at Jas and Jas immediately dropped the stick which he was using to clear the knee level shrubs. It wasn't first time when Manik had lashed on Jas in past few hours. 

Walking a few meters more, Nandini finally decided to call it a day. She was sure Aashi couldn't do it further with kind of condition she was in. 

"I think we should stay the night here," She uttered loudly. Manik turned around and saw how Nandini was trying to say a lot through her eyes. He nodded and started to clear the bushes with wooden club. 

"Now he himself is doing," Jas complained in a low tone which could never reach Manik's ear. That kid was surely low-spirited with constant telling off.