Chapter-45 {An abode and loose ends}

Mr Murthy's foot tottered off the wooden log for third time and Nandini had to exert all her might to stop a relentless Manik. She supported her father to gain his balance while Manik's scowls didn't go unnoticed by her. They were running in a jungle to find that one line called border of that damned place. They couldn't carry on their journey in truck as they would get caught in minutes once it went through the checking. Only way out now was crossing that border through dense forest where there was no army. 

"Slow down, Manik," Nandini besought and his pace gradually slowed down. 

It was getting impossible to match his urgent steps. Her father wasn't in a condition to run as effortlessly as they could, and Manik was impatient. He hadn't spared a single glance at Mr Murthy since the time they had started to cover distance on foot. Nandini could sense it all but she hadn't any time to feel awful about it. 

Clouds above intensified with that roar and soon heavy drops started to dance on their flesh. Weather was bipolar, just like his warmth. His hand had this assuring grip over her hand but that assurance was too tamed that she knew how he had drawn the line between her and her father. 

It was an hour since they were running in that forest and she could see no end to it. Her father had started to wear out, his breaths were aloud enough to convey his tiredness. 

"Can we take a break?" She asked Manik amid that deafening rainfall. 

Manik looked back to see her face which had this worry written all over it. He nodded and she smiled. Mr Murthy sat against the tree to catch his breath. 

"You alright?" Nandini asked cupping his face. 

He looked into her eyes and nodded his head. He was being utterly quiet in this hour of urgency and she was so thankful. 

She looked around and saw Manik sitting on a rock as if rain had nothing on him. His face was looking whiter as those bruises were rinsing in rain water. His eyes moved to meet hers and she tried to find some missing piece in them. Something had changed terribly. 

Manik saw her looking towards him ardently as if she was trying to find something. He knew what she wanted to see. He turned his face away, he couldn't show her his fears which were consuming him. He was afraid being there with her beside. His eyes couldn't miss a corner of that damned forest so that nothing reaches her. He had a lot on stake while she was out there. That forest was nothing less than battleground for him where he couldn't breathe a single breath without being alert.

She walked to him and he couldn't avoid her anymore. 

"What's wrong?" She asked baffled. 

He shook his head and started to look around. 

"You are behaving so strange," She said that part lowly as if having a battle within whether to let it out or save it for later. 

Manik immediately looked into her big eyes and he could see this concern eating her.  

He tugged her closer pulling her hand and she stood between his legs. Her eyes didn't leave his as he tried to say something. She wasn't awaiting words for sure. 

"We need to resume our journey soon," He disappointed her by giving her those shallow words. She looked away in resentment. She mumbled to herself how it was not the time to dig him. Before she could even realize, his lips pecked her cheek briefly. He was trying to pretend something. 

 She returned to her father who had his eyes closed as he rested against the tree. She tugged his hand to make him stand and he did. She smiled at his understanding. He had started to listen to her as if she was the only right thing. She looked at Manik who nodded in return. Feet started to move slowly but steadily. His hand gripped her wrist firmly and journey resumed.