Chapter-66-A{Day and night}

A thick air made the curtains dance and Nandini's palms reached the pages scattered over the table preventing them from flowing with the breeze. She looked at the giant window in dismay, dark had taken over the sky and she walked to the window to stop haze from entering her office. She didn't realize when day passed in jiffy. It was her fourth day at office and she couldn't be more perturbed. She looked at the pile of books on her table and sighed. A map was spread over the table. Her head ached as she thought about what all she had done in entire day. 

Nothing. 

The answer came out involuntarily. She couldn't forget the perplexed faces at the first meeting when she had simply given a speech on how she thought they could lead this war. Those experienced gentlemen didn't take more than few minutes to understand how she knew nothing about war and strategies. She came across nothing but an unequipped heir who could speak at length about how ardently she believed in her father's vision but knew nothing how she was going to execute it. No one spoke against her, simply because now she stood somewhere where her father was taken as prodigy. But she wasn't a fool not to understand those silent chuckles. 

She had indulged herself in studying her state and its mechanics since last three days. She would get up early in morning and return late at night. She read about the state's successful military operations in past 50 years and what strategies her father believed in. It was her misfortune how no cabinet minister was present there anymore to guide her except for her sick father. 

Even though she had grasped more than necessary information about geographical aspect of the state, still she couldn't bring it on paper how she thought to lead this war. She had resources now. She could send her forces to gather people for the upcoming clash but reality, that they knew very less about that dictator and his functioning, stared her face. 

It was a mess. 

She palmed her face and let her eyes closed under its warmth. She hadn't felt this lost before. It was difficult to think of an organised battle. She didn't know from where to start. Veer and his cabinet had their plan ready but she still believed her father's vision had an edge if she could breathe life into it. Tomorrow morning, committee was going to gather again to discuss about their first step towards salvation. Nandini came out of her mental misery and started to flip pages of minutes of her father. There had to be something, something more precise than what he had written in that diary. 

She was frantically working over a rough plan while gazing that map laid on the table when she felt two palms holding her shoulders gently. She immediately let go of her taut demeanor and slumped back in the chair. She rested her neck against the rim and two thumbs caressed her aching neck muscles. 

"I can't do this, Manik," She murmured closing her eyes. 

He didn't speak anything but kept stroking her shoulders and nape. Her eyes welled up even when they were closed as she let his warmth sink in. She could finally be herself she knew. She bit her lower lip as she didn't want to cry at all. His touch went missing and before she could wonder, she was swaying in his arms. She could finally look at his face which conveyed nothing but concern. He took her to the majestic sofa chair which was placed in front of fireplace. Nandini gazed the orange of fire while her flesh soaked in warmth of it. 

 Sitting on it, he let her rest on his lap. His arm supported her back while her legs rested on his. 

"You need rest," He stated as if that was all which mattered to him. 

"You are not understanding, Manik," Nandini tried to straighten but but he held her back. 

"Tomorrow is second meeting and I must present some consolidated plan, otherwise I won't be able to do anything. I would let down my father," She was exasperated.