Chapter-53{ Travail of inception}

Fog had taken over the valley as dry cold knocked the door of never-ending winter. Dark long winter which had not spared a single heart, it had clutched them all in its merciless gelid. Manik returned in wee hours when campfire had died out and it was hard to tell difference between smoke and mist. He looked at far spread tents sleeping peacefully. He dropped the gun at door before he undid the knot of her tent. His hands tangled it instead of undoing it. Haste was costing him time. As he opened the curtain, there she laid wrapped in sweet slumber looking like a dream. Dim yellow of bonfire caressed her face and Manik sighed. He didn't want his rim to reach her anymore but then he was always selfish. He entered her tent and walked to her bed. His cold dirty fingers reached for her skin. As his thumb traced her temple, she flinched a bit. Manik withdrew his hand and sat on grass pile just to gaze her enough to start the next day where he would be away again and she wouldn't approach him either. He knew he was breaking her, he knew he was making her distant. 

Closing his eyes unable to endure the tiredness and soothing heat, he let him take the rest. Nandini opened her eyes only to find him there like every night. He was ignorant if he thought she didn't know while he gazed her. She knew it at first knot he undoes every night. 

Nandini's forehead furrowed in worry as she noticed his face. His lip had a cut which must have bled. She got up and noticed him more keenly. There were minor bruises on his forehead and cheek as well. She couldn't wait and walked to him. Her hand reached his face instinctively. Before she could measure that cut, he held her hand. Nandini gasped at his celerity. His eyes opened and met hers. Nandini's heart warmed looking into those eyes after so long. She bit inside of her lip trying not to give away a little too much. 

"It's nothing," He answered and held her hand firmly. His frost mingled with her warmth as he kept looking into her big eyes. 

Turning around, Nandini walked to side table to bring out a box. Returning, she opened it just to let the smell of medicines touch his nostrils. 

"How did this happen?" She asked trying not to reveal her concern. She dipped the cotton in antiseptic liquid and he noticed each her detail. Cotton met his lip and she gasped assuming how it would have stung. He was amused least to say. 

"Go to doctor in morning, this one might need stitches," She said moving on from that cut on lip. 

Manik didn't say a thing but kept looking at her. 

"It's fine if you don't want to share," She said stuffing the medicines back to box, "Good night." 

He grabbed her hand horrified and she fumbled in her step with that sudden pull. 

"We were out to get some cannons," He replied looking uneasy about the topic. 

"Cannons?" Nandini asked as she turned around completely. 

"We robbed an army truck," He divulged and Nandini's face turned paler. 

"Are you people realizing what are you doing?" She asked frantically. 

He didn't reply but stared the tent wall. His hand still held hers firmly. 

"Why are you doing this, Manik?" She asked tired. 

"You never were interested in state affairs then why now?" She was hurt. Reason wasn't one. 

He looked at her sensing the turbulence in her voice. Her eyes held tiredness and affliction. He didn't know what got into him that he pulled her rashly onto his lap. She almost shrieked owing to force. 

"I don't want to hurt you. I hate to see you like this," He admitted hammering each his word. Nandini could feel his each muscle taut. He was reining so much.