Chapter-46{Sealing the gaps}

"Thank you," Nandini said to the sweet lady who handed her a cup of hot tea while her eyes followed Manik as he walked along the river. He was keeping away when he wasn't. He not for once tried to avoid her gaze, he looked right into them every time. All this little act of lack of connection was for inches to come into play. She couldn't guess why he would do that. 

Before she could audit him further, she heard a squeal and it didn't take more than two seconds for Nandini to recognize that already feeble voice. It was Aashi. 

"Aashi," A smile crept on Nandini's lips seeing that crazy girl running towards her with a teary face. 

Nandini had to take two steps back to endure the force with which Aashi clung to her. Her clutch was bone-crushing as she kept hugging Nandini tightly. Nandini knew what Aashi must have gone through while she was away. 

"Aashi," Nandini caressed her hair as Aashi sobbed in her arms. Nandini's vision blurred as a gust of warmth hit her. She herself was battling to prison the tears. 

"Shhhhh," Nandini cooed that crying girl in her arms as she kept stroking her head. 

"You are real, right?" Aashi asked hiccuping and Nandini pulled her apart trying to see her face. 

"What do you think?" Nandini asked as she wiped Aashi's tears. 

"I missed you," Nandini said in a heavy voice before hugging Aashi again. 

"I missed you more," Aashi mumbled as they both kept standing there amid walking people. People gave them quizzical look while some of them smiled. 

"I am really sorry," Aashi parted away and started to mumble all she had cluttered in her all this while. 

"I couldn't save you that day," She said catching her breath. Nandini shook her head refusing to take any apology. Aashi had nothing to apologize for. 

"I failed you," Aashi said holding Nandini's hands in hers. 

"You are certainly his sister," Nandini quipped and her eyes darted to catch Manik's glimpse. He was sitting on a rock and was ardently looking at her. 

Aashi chuckled amid that cascade of tears. 

"I am nothing like him," Aashi corrected Nandini and then added, "I don't go hulk on people. Besides, I don't love you the way he does." 

Nandini got ruffled with the remark and glared Aashi. Both looked at each other for few seconds just to test the authenticity of moment. 

"Welcome Home, Nandini," Aashi said after a comfortable silence. Her words had this firmness. 

"Home, indeed," Nandini replied tapping Aashi's cheek lovingly. Aashi's eyes roamed to spot that one ardent bystander and when she did, she smiled evilly. 

"I bet he is fuming," Aashi quipped and then hooked Nandini's elbow to drag her away. 

"Let's set him on fire," She added simpering and Nandini couldn't help but laugh out loud. Her giggles echoed and a faint smile crept on his blue lips. 

He followed them, but from a distance. His feet were automatically chasing her and he didn't feel a need to do otherwise. He needed to see her wandering in that camp so that he could register how she looked when she was home. 

_____________________

"Things are falling back in place," Aabid said as he gazed the horizon. Evening had knocked in most beautiful way. 

Manik didn't answer but kept staring into nothing. 

"We won't repeat our mistakes," Aabid ensured sensing Manik's heavy silence. He could guess what it had taken from Manik to undo whatever was done. Bringing Nandini was one hell of a task for all of them, but Manik had a stake in it more than anyone else.