Chapter-51{It's not what it seems}

"Give me some time"

Her words were echoing in his ears as he walked leisurely lost in his mind. Nandini was walking along Aabid bhai and they seemed to discuss something important. Nandini's furrowed forehead was enough to tell. It was day-2 of their wayfaring and sun was harsh this morning. Quiet among people was dense and a strange melancholy was spreading across the valley.  

"It gets tiring when we don't know where we are going, right?" Manik came out of his thoughts as he heard Aashi saying something. 

He didn't even realize when she had joined him. 

"Huh?" He couldn't quite hear what she had said. 

"Nothing," Aashi replied wearing that knowing smile. 

Both kept walking not speaking a word further. Aashi looked back to ensure if Mr Murthy was doing fine. She had left his side for few minutes with an intention to talk few things with Manik. It was been a while they both had talked. 

"Last night..." Aashi started to talk but he didn't let her complete. 

"I know," He replied knowing how she was about to tell him that he was wrong. 

"I don't know what happened between you two but..." Aashi wanted to get this off her chest. 

"It's much more than survival for her. She is stressed about a lot of things," Aashi divulged. 

"And she won't tell me," Manik chuckled sadly. 

"As if you wanted to listen," Aashi retorted. 

Manik looked at her amusingly.

"I know...I know it isn't easy for you to put aside your dislike for her father," Aashi was unsure to bring that up. 

She looked at Manik to get a cue if she should continue or not. He looked ached for a second or two but then furor had been a veil for him since long. He had mastered the art of masking his storms. 

"But don't forget it's your heart which has distinguished Nandini from her bloodline," Aashi added stressing on each syllable. 

She waited for him to say something but then she knew he wasn't going to speak his mind. She sighed deeply before dropping her pace. Turning around, she walked to Mr Murthy. She knew she had talked about something she shouldn't have. He was never ready to talk about past. She respected that till last night. But even she had fears. She couldn't stand this fear of him losing Nandini because of something which happened years ago. 

Manik kept walking absentmindedly unknowingly grasping her view more authentically. Nandini looked back as if sensed his penetrating gaze. She tried to smile but it didn't reach her eyes. 

______________________

Kids ran across the broken bridge as night called for an interlude. They were camping beside a brook. Nandini saw those kids seeking thrill by stepping on weak woods. Bridge was old and stream was slow. She couldn't see any harm in that fun play. Sometimes wood crackled when they stepped on weary one and they laughed. Sometimes they made right guess and their eyes gleamed. 

"Tomorrow morning it is," Aabid Bhai whispered to her and she came out of her reverie. 

Her eyes twinkled with hope and a smile played on her lips as she processed the wonderful news. 

"Really?" She asked elated. 

Aabid Bhai nodded confirming and she closed her eyes thanking God. 

"We'll leave in small hours. Be ready," He informed and walked away. 

Nandini's eyes roamed around to find Aashi and got stuck at Manik. Her smile dulled as she found him staring her. He was sitting behind hustle of people. Nandini's heart ached acknowledging the fact how she was not able to find a way back to him with state affairs hovering her mind. She was failing at convincing herself how she could share her problems with him now. The fact that he never wanted to be part of anything concerning state and her father remained same. Her vulnerability couldn't become his motivation to take interest in these matters.