Chapter-42{We see the light}

That white castle looked abstract in the heavy downpour. It seemed like a curse which had broken loose on that new city. It hadn't stopped raining in hours. Manik looked around to find people trying to find dry and warm corners in that leaking tin shed. Sky roared again and lightening helped him in seeing what the mathematics out there was. He could see a few soldiers patrolling the area. It looked like rain couldn't bother those thick-skin barbarians. Manik looked at castle again which was situated up hill. He was still so away from it. He waited for sleep to cast spell soon so that he could escape.

Nandini quivered on each that thunderbolt which struck the hill in front of her eyes. It was another night when she couldn't find the sleep. She didn't want to sway between pretty dreams and harsh reality. She had already committed a mistake thinking how she could lead a life where there were no thorns. Her father flinched again as thunderbolt roared. Nandini cursed that downpour. She stroked his head to calm him down. In all these hours, she had seen him not recognizing her but she could see how he liked her presence. Her eyes welled up as he again dived in his sweet slumber. She could make one right at least. She could be with him.

____________

Soldiers dragged Manik towards somewhere as he was caught leaping the fence. His nerves were aching with that hit he had got on his nape. His vision blurred but he knew he couldn't pass out. His knee hit some rock in muddy land and he gasped.

A light.

He could see a door which was lit up. Noise too was touching his ears. It had to be a tavern. Manik compelled his lids to open up as those soldiers neared the place. One of them hit side of his head with his knee and Manik cried in pain. Next he heard noise getting denser and heat touching his pores. With a thud he met the harsh floor and next he heard the words telling what he had done.

"Put him in cage," He heard someone commanding.

Soldiers again picked him up from his arms and threw him in some dusty dark corner. Manik tried to open his eyes but pain was hovering his senses. He could hear uproar, some cheers and some illegible words.

Minutes passed by and Manik finally could find some strength to get up. As he opened his eyes and tried to stand, he heard someone calling his name. Someone tapped his cheek and Manik blinked his eyes to remove the blur.

"What are you doing here?" Manik asked as he could see the picture getting clearer.

That other man grabbed him from upper arm and took behind a herd of prisoners.

"Harshad," Manik mumbled as he leaned on wall.

"What are you doing here?" He asked holding his head. Pain was making it difficult for him to stay awake.

"We are here to help," Hrshad answered and ran to bring some water from pot placed just few meters away.

Manik washed his face and drank the remaining water. Harshad looked around to ensure how no one watches them interacting.

Manik got up and Harshad reached to help his stumbling feet.

"I am fine," Manik stopped Harshad in his steps. A silence prevailed amid those cheering noises of which Manik was still unaware. He was finally seeing the place in his senses and it seemed to be personal club of those army officers. Manik walked towards herd of prisoners which was hovering the wire fence. Manik reached the grill to see army men putting their baits on fighting prisoners. They were making those already vulnerable captives fight for their little fun.

Manik stormed back towards Harshad while Harshad patiently waited.

"What is this place and what are you doing here?" Manik asked impatiently, his voice filled with this cold that Harshad immediately felt like he was shown mirror. He was unable to come out of what his family had done.