Chapter-28{Before the storm}

Fog painting windowpane with its desired patterns, night was hauntingly beautiful. It had tinge of silver as moon was illuminated to its fullest and cold was sinfully cruel. Manik brought the wine bottles out of bar cabinet and looked at almost dozed off crew of his. They weren't any fancy men, he hadn't have any intention to keep them by his side but he knew they were the ones who won't harm Nandini. Living in camp all these days, he had known what was on surface and what was beneath. He put the bottles on center table of living room and they all looked at him at once. 

"Night is cold," Manik said and they nodded their heads in understanding. 

Picking up the food which one of his men had prepared just a few minutes back, he walked towards the stairs. 

"To the night we are going to spend in most lavish house of town," One of men raised the toast and rest of them laughed. Manik spared a smile before he climbed up the stairs leaving the drunk chuckles behind. Voices faded out as he walked towards her room. Closing the door behind him, he drew her attention towards him. She looked up leaving all the scattered photos on her lap. She was sitting in front of fireplace with all the pictures of her family cluttered on warm carpet. She looked happy, that Manik could tell. He put the food in front of her and she made place for him amid all the lovely mess she had created. Nandini gave him an admiring yet dubious look. 

"No, I haven't cooked all this," He informed and she smiled clearing her doubts. 

"I cannot cook very well," He added and served her the food. 

She smiled warmly and tasted it. Her eyes lit up announcing how she had liked it. 

"It's really good," She remarked and he too started his dinner. 

None spoke as they gathered the required calories to carry on. Manik walked to window to make sure curtains were down properly. He couldn't risk her. She got busy again in taking the pictures out of albums. 

He walked to her and stood just above her head looking at piece of paper in her hand. Smile touched his lips as soon as he saw a small girl in arms of a man in that picture. It has to be Nandini. She still looked the same if he was asked. 

"You know, it was when father had returned from his longest tour and I was so happy," She said as if knew he was looking at her memories. 

"Hmmm," He just exclaimed and then walked to her bed. She looked around to spot him and saw him going through stuff on her side shelf. 

"You know that was when my mother had scolded me so hard for leaping to forest and my father was pacifying me," She informed as Manik was looking at frame where she was almost crying and her parents looked to be in argument. 

He chuckled and then put that back. She again looked down at her beloved memories knowing how he would not say much. His silence was something she had started to love now. Love? She raised her eyes to look at fire, the word was as warm as that fire was. It can keep you alive and burn you at the same time. 

"You were beautiful," He said and her eyes snapped at him as if denying to register what he had said. 

"Huh?" She asked and he put the frame back. He didn't repeat what he had said. She smiled looking down at her belongings. Biting her lips, still thinking about his compliment, she could feel her cheeks getting a little extra hot. 

"This was when Mamma had dressed me up for annual day and I was told I am a princess," She told all engulfed in her little world without knowing what he was doing. Manik looked at her even more ardently. He was leaning on her bed while she was sitting like beautiful messy girl on floor in front of fireplace. It was minutes he was looking at her like that.