Chapter-19{Stakes and a life}

Quiet!

Yes, it was all quiet since the time he had left the room. There was this faint in atmosphere. Though, she was retrenched of any human warmth except for his sullen one, that merciful fickle warmth of his which would drench her when she tailors herself for frost and would leave her avid when she thinks she could have it. 

Door was still open and she could go out if she wanted to. But did she want to? She asked herself and then closed her eyes. She didn't want to. She walked to the door and saw an empty corridor. There was no one in that part of building. It was hauntingly aloof. Unknown of the fact that she was only figure in that abandoned building now along with his mercurial presence, she took one more step and came out of door. Walking to the railing, she looked at vast green view. Lush green grass was decorating the land. Her eyes caught glimpse of him as she looked around. He was pacing from one end to another all lost in his thoughts. She looked back at room and saw his rifle still lying near door. He didn't come back to take that. She remembered what had happened a few hours back. His words, his actions, his presence; everything was something she had started to dread owing to the fear of retrenchment of same. She looked back at him and saw him plucking a few grass strands in utter disquiet. A minute or two, it wasn't long when he looked up and saw her standing near railing. He looked her with this affinity as if finally he had found something he could be content about. Nandini felt his keen gaze piercing her facet of indifference even if he stood meters away. 

She looked away leaving him baffled and walked back to her room shutting the door. She stood panting hard leaning on door as storm she had calmed by hundreds of efforts was evoked again. She heard a knock and she knew who it was. She walked away from door and door flung open. He walked in and looked at her trying to read her face. She started to shuffle her stuff on table as he stood there looking at her. 

"I just came to take this," He said pointing at rifle. 

She didn't look but she knew what he was referring to. She stayed quiet and started to flip pages of a book. 

"I am sorry," His words came out a bit offhand and she looked his way, still not looking at him. His gaze followed her eyes as if trying to lift it. 

"It's okay," She mumbled in firm tone and again started to work something on the book. 

She heard him sighing. The heaviness of it didn't speak for relief but density of his emotions. 

"An army unit is on its way towards this place," He informed. 

She looked at him finally meeting his rueful eyes. As soon as his words sank in her heart, she looked perplexed why he was telling her this piece of news then. 

"And it's coming for me," She replied after a long pause. 

"It won't reach you. I promise," He said and that melancholy turned into tenacity.

"You need not to make that promise, Manik," She replied impassively. 

He took a step towards her unknowingly and she looked away stopping him at his place. 

"This is my battle and I think I am ready to fight," She uttered. 

"I think I am finally ready to take whatever it is," She said with a resolution. 

His eyes drowned in worry as he tried to read her. She had turned a page or what. She wasn't there where he had left her. She had walked ahead. Was he the reason that she was sounding austere? He looked everywhere to find an answer when he knew what was the answer. 

"You don't have to," He mumbled as he acknowledged that answer. 

She didn't reply. He waited but she never uttered a word afterwards.