Prologue

This story is also on Fanfiction.net. Here's the link to it: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9741165/1/Within-A-Thousand-Heart-Beats

(Eve's POV)

"Welcome to our new home!" Mom points to the two story house. I smile and dance around the front yard as I admire the flowers that the previous owners left.

"Mommy I'm hungry." I rub my belly as it replies with a growl.

"How about I go make you some of my famous hotdogs after we unload some stuff?" My dad asks kindly.

"Oh come on Lento you know you'll never be able to beat my breakfast special!"

"But Daisy it's not breakfast anymore."

"Oh shut up."

"I want both mommy's special breakfast and daddy's famous hotdogs!" I chirp. My mom pats me on the head.

"Anything for the birthday girl."

"Yay!!!" I jump around with joy. "I want to eat now!"

"Not now we still need to unpack." Dad comments. "There's a park nearby how about playing there until we're done?" I nod while mom frowns.

"It's dangerous for her to go by herself!"

"Come on she's a big girl now and she's smart enough not to walk off with some stranger and into their white van." Dad rolls his eyes.

"She's only six!"

"So?"

"Mommy I'll be safe I promise!" I put on my best puppy dog look. My mom's looks soften and she nods; I squeal with joy as I give her a big hug. "Thank you and I love you!"

"I'll walk her there." I take dad's hand as we head for the park. The park really is nearby we were there within seconds.

"Look daddy the park!"

"Alright Eve you stay safe okay? And if you're going to come home early be careful crossing the road." I nod and wave him goodbye.

The park was huge filled with trees and there was a gigantic playground in the middle but no one else was there; perfect all for me! I skip around the park and in the end I decided to go on the swing.

"Wee I'm flying!" I laugh as the swing swung up. I close my eyes and I pretend to be flying with the birds.

"You're not flying silly!" I hear someone yell. I snap my eyes open to see a little red haired boy looking at me with his arms crossed. "If you could really fly you'd be up there!" He points to the clouds.

"You're just jealous because you can't swing as high as I can!" I stick my tongue out.

"Yes I can!" He gets on a swing and starts to swing back and forth. Soon we were both swinging at the height.

"Let me show you how a pro flies!" As the swing went up he let go and jumped down. I mimic him but I don't land as good instead I fell right over once I hit the ground.

"Lucky you landed on your feet before you fell over!" The boy says. "I'm still the best!"

"Whatever!" I hiss; he extends a hand out and smiles.

"You're fun to play with want to be my friend?" I nod and I take his hand as he helps me up. "I'm Elsword!"

"My name is Eve I'm new here and today is my birthday!" His eyes widen

"Oh happy birthday; did you have cake yet?"

"No but my mommy and daddy are making super good food at my house! Want to come?"

"Yes!" He replies immediately.

"Okay let's go!" He fist pumps again as we walk off to my new house.

Few years later . . .

"Yes freedom!" Elsword fist pumps.

"And no more gym!" I chirp.

"I'm surprised you do so badly at gym Eve." Aisha comments. Aisha is a friend I met at first grade she was Elsword's friend and she soon became a very close friend to me too.

"Well I just get out of breath easily not my fault." I frown. "So what are you two doing for the summer?"

"I'm going to visit my grandma tomorrow after that nothing." Aisha explains.

"I'm going to a summer beach house my parents rented for the summer." Elsword sighs. My heart drops as I hear his comment.

"So you'll be gone for the whole summer?" He nods. "Oh . . ." I know I still have Aisha with me but it's not the same.

"Hey kiddo!" Elesis punches Elsword on the arm. "Look who's going to grade 5 next year!" Elsword pouts.

"Sis stop that!" She rolls her eyes.

"We need you back home we're packing today cause we're off tomorrow!" What tomorrow?!

"Okay oh and Eve?" I nod while trying not to cry. "Can you meet me tomorrow at 9?"

"O-okay." With that he leaves with his sister. My mood drops and I walk back with Aisha in silence; she gives me funny looks but I shrug it off. I wonder why he wants me to meet him tomorrow . . .

Next day . . .

Butterflies bounce around in my stomach as my hand approach the doorbell. Why am I feeling this way this isn't the first time I've been at his place! Gathering all the courage I have I force my hand to push the button; a soft chime can be heard as footsteps hurry to the door.

"Morning." Elsword greets me with his usual cheesy smile.

"Hi." I reply dumbly. We stand in awkward silence.

"So Eve I'm sorry I can't be with you for the summer." He blurts out. "So here a gift!" I gasp as I see the shining silver heart shaped locket it had tiny blue paw prints on it.

"Elsword this is so pretty!"

"I asked my mom to buy it for you." His face turns red. "Here let me put it on for you." I turn around as he puts the necklace on.

"Done!"  I stare at the locket hanging from my neck and smile widely.

"How do I look?" I turn around to let him see. He turns cherry red.

"Y-you look good . . . er good doesn't even begin to describe it!" I feel my heart beat grow faster as a warm fuzzy feeling envelopes me. He leans and hugs me.

"I'll miss you." I hug him back.

"Even if it's only for a summer I'll miss you too."

"I'll be back soon and I promise I'll make it up to you!" I break the hug.

"Promise?" I hold out my pinkie.

"Promise." He replies as he joins his pinkie with mines.