Chapter #1

Where am I?

The sight of the stars and moon illuminated the town below, shining forever brightly with no care in the world. It casted shadows upon shadows that would fade when the sun rises, and come again when it falls.

Who...is that?

Even with movement from the mouth and a want to speak, there was not a sound made.

In the middle of the town, someone stood, holding a long object, which seemed to be stained with something dark. They stood still, like a statue.

One foot took a step forward. The feeling of something soft underneath the foot caused the vision to blur and look downwards, seeing a grotesque body stained in a dark substance.

Then, the person that stood like a statue spoke, voice clear as day but chilling as night.

"There is no such thing as God."

-

"Sin, are you going to wear that as a hairpin?"

A woman of average height and a slender stature turned to face her friend. Her light blue eyes held surprise at the sudden voice that had come from behind. She had gotten her when she had just left her room, staring at her hairpin as she walked.

She shook her head in response, "No, I'm not."

Lenalee took a few steps closer, analysing her new friend's hairpin that sat on her hand. She reached to touch it. The hairpin was thin and about the size of the length of her hand, made of silver that was thicker on one end and thinner on the other. The thinner side had a slightly blunted tip; the thicker side had branched out into 2 near towards the end, coiling around each other a few times before meeting together and branching out into the shape of a flower. Stuck in between the silver flower frame was a jewel in the shape of a small peony. The jewel was mainly clear, but the petal tips and centre glistened a pale pink that likened it to the colour of real peonies.

What an expensive pretty looking hairpin...Lenalee thought. She was worried for Sin, who seemed nonchalant about using this hairpin as a weapon. It was then that Lenalee realised that she didn't know much about her friend.

But then again...I only just met her a couple of days ago.

"Is something wrong, Lena?" Sin asked with slight concern. The girl had been staring at her hand for a long while and had not spoken a word.

"Ah, no, it's nothing." The Dark Boots user smiled at Sin's use of a nickname. "I was just thinking about how it was going to work out. With where you'll put the hairpin, I mean."

Sin touched her short black hair, reminiscing about old times. A clouded look glazed over her eyes as she stared at the Rose Cross on Lenalee's chest, momentarily blanking out.

"Sin?" Lenalee waved her hand in front of her fellow countrywoman's face, effectively snapping her out of it. "Are you alright?"

"I'm...fine." Sin spoke with a small smile. She pulled a bit of her hair, "My hair's really short now, so I can't use this hairpin anymore." She laughed a little.

Lenalee thought for a moment, bringing a hand to her chin unconsciously. Once done, her arm went back to her side and her expression lit up. "Why don't you go to the Science Section to change the hairpin into something else? You can also introduce yourselves since you haven't met them yet."

It was just a suggestion out of kindness, but Sin shook her head. "Thank you, Lena. But I'll keep it the way it is. It's a precious item to me, so I don't want to change its shape."