Chapter #24

"So, why did that Innocence take human form?" Kanda stared directly at Mei when he was talking. He had a hunch that she knew all the answers, but it would be tough to get them out of her. "Why is it after you two?"

Allen could remember, his first encounter with Apocryphos. It was a thing that was a force to be reckoned with, something that was immune to the power of his Innocence. But, he heard that Mei and Sin's Innocence was able to injure it. It really confused him.

"I...don't know." Allen had an expression similar to a mixture between uncertainty and focus.

Mei exhaled lightly, leaning her head back against the curtains. "Well, you've probably heard the gist from Komui or something, but the guy's made of Innocence. It's a little complicated, but the Apocryphos wasn't originally in human form in the beginning." She was digging up the memories of her past 7000 years ago; some were incredibly painful to remember, and some just pissed her off.

Tiedoll glanced over his shoulder into the carriage where they were talking.

She's almost like a phantom. She comes and goes like she pleases, and reveals information on a whim. I don't know if what she's saying is true or not, but the facts do add up.

The General averted his eyes, just listening as he instructed the movements of the horses.

She's got something that all sides want—I'm surprised she's lasted this long without getting ripped apart.

"The Apocryphos wasn't human?" Johnny questioned with wide eyes.

"Well, obviously. Haven't the others stated that it's made of Innocence, like, several times?" Mei gently karate chopped Johnny's forehead. "But, he didn't have this form. Originally, what he looks like now belonged to someone that wielded the Innocence that overtakes him now."

The exorcists and scientist looked at Mei like she was crazy at revealing the information. It wasn't something that they heard every day, nor was it something that they would see coming.

"What?" Allen was the first to speak, a little confused.

"What do you mean by that," Kanda's question came out more like a statement. He was intrigued by the treasure trove of information she had.

"Wha, huh?" Johnny just made sounds of confusion.

Mei raised a brow. She knew that they didn't know, but the type of reactions from each of them were kind of expected, but silly and funny. She let out a giggle at how she expected such reactions, but covered her mouth, mumbling an apology.

"What's so funny?" Kanda made a face at her.

She waved her hand in front of her face in dismissal, "All your reactions are something I expected, but it was funny.

"Anyway, as I was saying, Apocryphos was actually a single Innocence long ago with an accommodator. But, when some stuff happened and he wanted to kill me for it, he was, I guess in a way, eaten, by his Innocence. And then he killed me. His Innocence became independent like that, with a will on its own. It may have been the will of the former accommodator, but he roams the earth in search of Innocence that need, what he calls 'salvation'.

"It's near impossible to kill him, so the only thing you can really do is injure him and run. But, he'll be after you again." Mei summed it up simply, ending with a nod.

"That's..." Allen looked like he was having the shock of his life. He didn't like the sound of being on the run 24/7 for the rest of his life. He couldn't imagine how it felt for Mei to have done that with all her reincarnations. It would have been hell.