Chapter #4

"Do you know why there is no such thing as God?"

A smile, then a pause.

"God—"

-

Sin's blue eyes opened wide as she unconsciously clenched onto her covers. Feeling that her hands hurt slightly, she only then realised that her nails were digging into her palms. She relaxed her hands and sighed deeply, sitting up. Her legs dangled off the bed as she stared at the ground, wondering what she was dreaming about.

She didn't feel any different from the day before, well, maybe except for her aching limbs, but she felt like she had dreamed of something sinister.

What exactly did I dream about? Sin couldn't recall any details at all, and pressed two fingers to her forehead, closing her eyes, to concentrate.

After a moment, she opened them again and pressed her lips into a tight line.

I can't remember.

A gentle knock on her door made the girl look up, wondering who it was at this hour. It was about 5am.

"Yes?" She called. "Who is it?" She didn't even bother to go to the door, being a little out of it.

The door opened a little, letting some light in, before a head peaked through. Sin couldn't see exactly who it was, but she felt that the silhouette was quite familiar.

"Sin? Are you awake?" It was Lenalee. Even in the early hours of the morning, she sounded completely fine and had no sign of fatigue.

"Yeah..." Sin rubbed her eyes and squinted to adjust her vision. She stood up, heading to the door.

Lenalee opened the door fully, taking a couple of steps until she was inside her friend's room. "Sorry for waking you." She said apologetically.

Sin stretched and yawned, accidently combining her yawn and words, "It'sh o-kway..."

Lena giggled and she turned on the lights, "The reason I'm here so early is because we have a mission that we're leaving for after breakfast."

"Mission?" Sin opened one eye as she continued stretching.

The younger Chinese girl nodded, "It's your first mission, so I'll be going with you. We're investigating the disappearances of a few travellers in the outskirts of a city in France."

"Disappearances...?" Sin yawned again. She was really tired, but she somehow managed to keep her attention span long enough for Lenalee.

"Yes," Lena nodded, "I'll explain later when you're fully awake. We'll be leaving at 8." With a smile and wave, she left.

The new exorcist nodded slowly to herself, feeling the sleepiness envelop her, but snapped her mind awake when she realised she was going to be on a mission. Her first mission.

A mission involving missing travellers...? Sin yawned, walking over to go brush her hair and change. Doesn't that mean that there'll be akuma and possibly even Innocence there...?

"Mmm...I want to sleep..." Sin mumbled to herself, walking out her door.

And she yawned yet again.

-

"So we'll be going to Bordeaux, in the south west of France." Lenalee handed Sin the clipboard, detailing the mission as she skimmed through the papers. "Like I said before, we'll be investigating the area around there too, especially the area where they vanished."

"It says here that they vanished in a...flower field?" Sin was a little unsure. It sounded like something out of a novel, but she knew that, from what her peers have said, that the reality was that it was possible for it to happen if it involved Innocence or akuma.