Chapter #29

"Sin?!" Allen called her name again as she erupted into another round of coughs. This time, they were more violent than the last, and the blood continued to stain her hand.

The chained female grimaced at the sight of her blood, pressing her red lips into a thin line. After those series of coughs, she could feel her vision blurring out at random times, very quickly like a flash of light.

Shit.

She took a glance at Allen, seeing that he was standing, shocked.

There's no way that Allen wouldn't want to know what this was.

Sin wiped her mouth on her arm, sighing at the situation. Her throat seemed to ache from the repeated coughs. Before, she'd get them periodically when she was stuck in the room, but now, it seemed to have escalated. Along with these coughs, she would seemingly forget things here and there, but then remember them after a while. But, the time in which she started to remember far less was closer, and she'd been forgetting things like an old woman.

However, Allen didn't know that she was losing her memory little by little. The only one who knew, was maybe Mei, who knew the end of what was to happen.

Allen's hand came down to his side, balled into fists. He had a hunch what was going on, but he didn't know if he was right.

"Sin...is this..." He stopped his sentence for a brief moment, remembering the mention of her Innocence corrupting her. "Is your Innocence killing you?"

Sin just looked at him like an empty puppet. Soon, her expression changed to one where she was just smiling, a sad forlorn look on her beautiful features.

She didn't reply nor did she answer, but her silence was almost like a confirmation in Allen's understanding.

His mouth became dry.

Death?

Death by Innocence?

During his whole life as an exorcist, one of the deaths that he remembered that was the most traumatising was Suman Dark's. He couldn't save him, and the Innocence ate him alive like a parasite (along with the powers of Noah).

His breathing became shallow and quick as he relived those memories – he didn't want one of his friends to end up like Suman. It reminded him that Seraphim accommodators couldn't become Fallen Ones – is this to make up for not becoming a Fallen One? A different kind of suffering?

"Allen, don't worry. I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. I've been alive this whole time, right?" Sin just continued to smile at him, and this time, she was able to put on a happier front that disguised her sad thoughts.

"That's..." Allen couldn't even say anything in retaliation.

He had already lost a friend, Timcanpy, and his other friends were in danger. And now, he may be losing yet another friend? Is that supposed to make him happy?

"Allen, don't worry about me." Sin shook her gently, "I think you have some other things to do."

"...what?" He couldn't even think.

Everything was starting to become more and more blurry. How much longer does everything have to go on for? Why couldn't everything be peaceful?

Like she could read his thoughts, Sin responded to his thoughts.

"You also hate this, don't you?" Her voice was soft and gentle, like a mother cooing her child. "You...don't have to worry about that anymore. It'll all be over soon."