Chapter #37

"It's amazing that there are no traces of Innocence in her body." Komui and Bak Chan rubbed their chins as they looked at the collated data, wondering how in the world this had happened.

After the whole ordeal, they would expect that there would at least be some remnants of Innocence, but she was free of it. Compared to the former exorcists, it was almost like she wasn't one at all.

"What do you mean?" Allen pulled his shirt back on, buttoning it up. He had come in for an examination under Komui's request, to see how his parasitic Innocence was holding up.

"Sin's body is a little bit strange. Back when she ended the war, her body absorbed the Innocence to heal her wounds." Komui hummed in thought, nodding a couple of times, "But then after she healed and she woke up, since she used to have a parasitic Innocence, there would be some traces in her body, right? However, we didn't find any, unlike yours."

"How's that even possible?" The gray haired teen raised a brow in confusion. If anything, Sin's body should be similar to his. After all, they both bore parasitic Innocences.

"Which is why we're thinking," Bak interjected, pointing up at the data on the screen. "Maybe it has to do with the fact she - that Mei - was the one who activated the fire of purification. Though, scientifically speaking, it seems a near impossible task?" He questioned his own train of thought, wondering if he was articulating it right.

He was running on little to no sleep after Sin was reported to be awake.

Komui resigned with a sigh, waving a hand. He took a sip of the coffee that was dutifully prepared by his secretary, Bridgette.

"Anything is possible with Innocence."

"You're right!" Johnny, who had been listening in, chimed in with a bright smile. "Anything is possible!"

"Ack!" Bak let out a strange sound, jumping in surprise at the younger scientists' enthusiasm.

"You're right." Allen smiled at him, agreeing with his thoughts. After all, having witnessed many things as an exorcist and as a travelling clown, there was many things he saw.

"By the way, how is the data on Sin?" Johnny asked, curious. He heard them talk about Innocence residue, but nothing else.

"Ah, she's actually pretty healthy, albeit weak. She's lost a lot of muscle mass and will need to train back up to bounce back. Brain is healthy too, no concussions or anything of the sort." Komui reported with a grin.

"She's actually waiting in the lobby with Tyki and Wisely. She said she wanted to look around and walk with her 2 feet." The Chief swished the remaining coffee in his mug, the corners of his lips remaining curled.

He was incredibly happy that she had woken up and was healthy - what surprised him was that she still held the same brightness that she did when he last saw her.

After the war, the Order had become swamped with work, especially in regards to exorcists and Innocence. It had become apparent that there were no more akuma, and incredibly weak to no powers for those who had Innocence.

Orders from higher up tasked the Order to change their trajectory and aims or continue researching about Innocence.

Komui and the scientists picked the latter, having realised that phenomena, albeit weaker than before, were still happening around the world. To figure out what was going on and why it was still happening, exorcists and finders would go out and collect information.

Tasks were not as dangerous as before - but now, instead of akuma, there were traces of Innocence taking forms of natural beings that may or may not be destructive. Some of them were easier tasks, some of them were harder.