Chapter #36

"You always claimed that God didn't exist."

Mei turned around. Her red irises and flowing silver hair looked to the glowing figure in front of her - it almost seemed like she was talking to a glowing ball. In the vast whiteness of the space she was in, it almost seemed brighter than the pureness of the colour white.

She kept silent, not denying the fact. She's said it on multiple occasions before, because she was incredibly angry and spiteful of the things that God's creations - Innocence and Noah - had put her and many other people through.

"Was it fun, watching all this from the sidelines?" Mei asked, her brows raising and slanting downwards as her voice barely cracked. "Was it like a theatre play to you?" She kept her emotions in check for the moment as she wanted to hear Him out.

God didn't give a response to that comment.

"Is this why I was given the power of Seraphim?" Mei's lips quivered, "So that I can destroy all this? Destroy your creations, whether they were mistakes or not?"

She continued, "Is this why I wasn't able to become a Fallen One? Because you put all your hopes onto me so that I could undo what you started?!" Her voice had become higher and louder each time she spoke a sentence, her several thousand years of anger on the brink of exploding.

"...I won't deny that fact," God started. "I knew you would be able to do it, for the sake of the world and for salvation."

"Knew I would be able to do it...?" Mei nearly froze on her spot. Her hands clenched into fists, "Is reincarnating several hundred times and dying several hundred times in gruesome ways something that came along with it?" She spoke in a low whisper. "Is making someone who served you, suffer so much, salvation?!"

God knew that Mei had suffered through all the times that she lived and died. They were aware of all the acts that were going on in the world due to their creations, whether fortune or misfortune, but they were not able to directly interfere with the inhabitants, except for one time.

However, the time from when the Noah memory was born and Mei lived her original life, God had bestowed power upon individuals that would be able to use Innocence, to take down the Noah that were created as a means of transferring power directly into individuals to help save inhabitants.

The Noah's powers were a little earlier than Innocence, but God realised that the powers given to the Noah weren't the ones he had in mind, so he needed something to counter it.

That something was Innocence.

Of course, He created Seraphim and Apocryphos too, however, they balanced each other out and kept each other in check. That's why Apocryphos was blessed with a body immortal to nearly everything except for Innocence and Noah powers, and Seraphim, the fire of purification.

Though, there were some implications there.

On an average scale, the Innocence's abilities were not able to harm Apocryphos, except for when the most advanced and powerful forms have been awakened. For instance, Seraphim's form and usage of the fire of purification would be able to hurt Apocryphos, however in its normal form, it would not be able to.

"...Mei, my apologies." God was willing to express his sadness that one of His greatest creations had become like this. No one deserves to go through such suffering, and due to the creation of such beings, it has brought much suffering to the people.

Mei pressed her lips together into a tight frown. She glared at the glowing ball, but eventually resigned with a sigh.

Everything had already happened. Her anger wasn't going to just sizzle out like that, but it would start diminishing. What was the use of getting angry about it?