Chapter #35

When did it become like this?

Wisely tapped his notebook with the back of his pen, doodling out his random thoughts as he watched his companion sleep. He was the only one awake at this hour, everyone else was asleep.

His mind kept wandering off to memories he would rather keep locked away, but at the same time, keep. After all, it was a big part of his life as a turning factor that changed everything.

He stood up and placed his items on where he sat, proceeding to go to the large floor length window. He sat on the ground in front of it, crossing his legs as he stared at the full moon that shone in the sky.

Gamako croaked, having finally made a sound on top of his head. It lifted a leg and slapped it back down on Wisely's white hair, almost telling him to stop reminiscing.

"Sorry, Gamako..." Wisely mumbled, sighing. He rested an elbow on his knee, holding his chin as he looked at the dark wheat field.

I can't forget.

His memory still retained the memories of everything that had happened in the past, and all the hate that the Noah memory brought with it. However, the Noah memory had disappeared, and instead, left him with a smidge of the same power.

He didn't know if it was supposed to be like this - wasn't Mei's mass exorcism supposed to wipe out everything Innocence and Noah? He wondered what went wrong that he retained a small fraction of his powers - enough for him to read a quick mind or two.

Gamako croaked yet again, almost as if he was saying, 'Don't worry so much, just live your life.'

Wisely frowned and turned to where his adoptive uncle lay - he was sleeping on the coach provided, rather than the bed, an arm covering his eyes as he slept soundlessly.

It had been a while since he had seen him sleeping so well. Other nights, he would toss and turn, or not even sleep at all, staying awake as he scanned through the ancient books that he couldn't read much of. He had a basic understanding of words here and there, but it was only due to the faint Noah's memory that was left behind.

They were actually books that had been collected over time in Katarina's residence, and since that's where they were now, to pass the time the man would skim over its contents and see if there was anything that would help.

Funny, since the man wasn't educated - yet he was able to decipher some here and there.

When asked about his insomnia, Tyki would only be able to reply with a shake of the head or not even at all - something that didn't bother Wisely.

"Why don't you visit your human friends?" Wisely asked out of the blue, in the late afternoon of the following day.

"You're human too, you know." Tyki retorted, pushing a book back into place. He didn't mind that he referred to them as humans, but it didn't seem right now that they technically weren't 'Noah' anymore.

Wisely just stared at him, seeing his passing thoughts go through his head. He very well knew the reason that Tyki stayed at this residence, but nothing's happened for a while, so why not take a small break and come back after?

After all, he could just use the Ark - it still worked.

Tyki thought for a moment, staring at the bookshelf. He wasn't even looking at any titles - he was thinking about whether or not he should go visit her.

"Just go." Wisely urged him.

Tyki sighed, knowing that he had read his thoughts again. It was something that Wisely had always done, so he was used to it.