Chapter 11

"Hey Sam," Cat trailed off. "Yeah?" Sam whispered. "Do you ever do something and then wonder why you did it later, but then you end up just not caring why because it turned out good?" Cat started playing with her hair, one of her nervous habits. "Uh, yeah. I have actually." Sam said with a small nod. "What was it?" Cat asked, sitting up slowly to sit next to her. "It's a secret," Sam told her, with a slight smile. She looked right into Cat's eyes and saw tears start to take form. "Why're you crying...?" Sam asked, very confused. Cat just smiled at Sam, a tear running down her cheek. "You saved me from that truck. If you hadn't been there, I would have..." Cat trailed off again, a deeply saddened expression on her face. "We don't need to dwell on that, kid. You're here and you're totally safe. I'll do whatever I can to protect you, I can guarantee you that." Sam said, putting a hand on Cat's face, brushing the tears away with her thumb. "But why? Why would you want to protect me...?" Cat stared into Sam's eyes, trying to understand what made her feel the way she did. "Because you're my best friend. You never leave a friend behind." Sam smiled and pulled Cat in for a hug. "Oh my gosh! You hugged me!" Cat said, baffled at the mere gesture. "Yeah...I did." Said Sam, forgetting to rebuild her emotional barrier. Cat beamed at her, then gave her a peck on the cheek causing Sam to blush profusely. "You are the sweetest." She said, her face almost inches away from Sam's. Sam regained her composure and said, "Don't push your luck. I just don't want to hear ya whine and complain." They stared at each other closely for a little longer than usual, causing Sam to clear her throat and get off of Cat's bed. Cat was a tad shocked by how affectionate Sam was, causing her to have a warm and fuzzy feeling in her chest. "I'm gonna go nuke some leftovers, want some?" Asked Sam, peeking through the door crack. "No thank you, I'm not hungry." Cat said softly and laid back down. She began to replay the image of Sam hugging her in her head, causing her to snuggle with her purple giraffe and blush slightly. "I wonder if she liked that hug." Cat said to herself. "I know I did." Meanwhile, Sam had microwaved some ribs and pizza, walking toward the couch and putting her plate on the table. She sat there thinking about when she hugged Cat, feeling her stomach flitter. "She'll get the note tomorrow, calm down Puckett." Sam said nervously. Then she sat on the couch and watched tv. Sam had fallen asleep on the couch again and Cat had gotten up to get a drink when she heard something. She looked over and saw that it was Sam. She appeared to be sleep talking, causing Cat to gain interest. Cat walked over quietly and sat on the floor in front of Sam's face. "Don't go...I need you...." Sam said through light snores. Cat wondered if she could help, so she decided to talk back to Sam. "I'm always going to stay with you, Sam." Cat said gently into her ear. It was a few minutes before she said something again. "Note....Cat...." Sam's phrase made Cat confused. "What note...? Please tell me." Cat whispered. "Secret....you promised..." Sam stopped sleep talking after that, and Cat noticed this. Cat brought a blanket out and put it over Sam, then kissed her forehead and sat on the edge of the couch, laying down and finally falling asleep.