Chapter 2

After Sam helped clean Cat's nose, she walked over to their room and sat on her side in the chair next to her bed. "Man...she never would give me a chance after that happened, smooth move Puckett." She mumbled to herself. She started to think about ways she could subtly hint that she had a crush on Cat without having to say it. "Ugh, this is cat we are talking about!" Sam grumbled,"Why should I need to try so hard for her? Mama don't try hard for nobody!" She started to think about all the times she saved Cat and did something extreme to keep her from crying and it made her irritated to think that she, Sam Puckett, would do anything like that for anyone. "Why do I always do things for her when I know she would never like me back? You know what, I don't care. Feelings make you do dumb chizz anyway." Sam thought out loud. "Heyyyyy!" Cats little head peeked through the crack of the door as she skipped over to Sam's side of the room, sitting on her lap and snuggling her face into the crook of Sam's neck. "Whoa, hey hey! Don't...do that." Sam bolted up from the chair, blushing and pushing Cat away. "Sammy..." Cat whined when she had to get off of her friend,"Why do you always do that?" Cat started to pout and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion when Sam just laid on her bed. "I told you I don't like hugs. What if someone did this to you everyday?" Sam went up to Cat and made really annoying screeching sounds and tugged her hair. "Ow! Sam stop!" Cat shouted and ran to her side of the room in terror, grabbing her stuffed purple giraffe. Sam just sat back on her own bed and said, "Isn't that annoying?" Cat just stared with wide, fearful eyes and said, "No...that was just plain scary. Ohhh! I get it, you must be scared of hugs!" Cat changed her mood from scared to jolly as she walked over to Sam again putting her hands out expectantly. "What the heck are you doin?" Sam asked as cat approached her. "I'm helping you get over your fear of affection." Cat smiled as she inched closer to Sam, making her scoot away a little. "Sam don't do that! C'mon I just want to help." Cat whined and did her pout that she knew Sam couldn't say no to. "F-fine." Sam hesitated, but she let Cat hug her for longer than usual. "Sam you gotta hug me back too." Cat stated as she giggled at Sam. Sam's eyes were clenched shut and her face could have blended in with Cat's hair if it got any redder. "I don't know if I can, kid." Sam said shakily. "It's easy, just put your arms around me like this." Cat gently took Sam's arms and put them around her waist. Sam noticed that Cat was straddling her when she tried to squirm out of her hold. "Sam stop trying to leave!" Cat screamed when Sam finally escaped her hug and ran to the couch with her face burning. "Maybe I scared her. I won't scare her anymore." Cat promised to herself. She stayed in her room, laying on Sam's bed thinking about what she could do to make her hug her. "I know, maybe she would want to hug me if I stopped giving her hugs!" She said and felt positive it would work. "Hey kid, I'm going for a walk." Sam said as she got up to go to the door. "Kk have fun." Cat said in her most bland voice she could manage. "Uh, yeah...ok" Sam was puzzled that she didn't show any interest, nor did she assault her with a hug saying she was going to miss her. "Maybe she finally realized that I'm not a hugger", Sam thought. Sam ended up walking for a very long time until she spotted a pond in a weirdly located forest/road. "Hm, maybe I should throw rocks in it", Sam said to herself as she walked over to the pond. It was dark out and she sat down on an oddly flat shaped rock near the pond. She uses her phone as a flashlight to find some pebbles that she skipped across it for a few minutes. Then she started wondering what cat was up to. Suddenly, a lightning bug flew in the air, followed by more of them resulting in the pond glowing. It was the most beautiful thing Sam had ever seen, besides Cat's smile. "No!" She exclaimed, shaking the thought out of her head. "I don't like her like that...I don't want to be hurt again. Like with Carly..." She looked at the lightning bugs and threw a couple rocks at them so they would fly away. Then she got up and walked home. Cat paced around frantically and worried about what happened to Sam. Tears were about to form in her eyes when she saw the door open. "SAM!!!" Cat cried as she threw herself into Sam's arms, crying and whimpering. Sam hugged back unexpectedly and stroked Cat's hair. "Kid, what's wrong?! What happened?" Sam was worried about Cat and didn't even notice that she was holding her. "I th-thought I wouldn't see you again..." Cat said through her sniffles and whimpers. "It's okay kid, just calm down. I'm here now. I was just on a walk." Sam said reassuringly while cat was trying to slow her breathing down. "You were gone the whole day, I thought something happened to you. My brain went crazy and I called like a zillion times after you left. I never meant to make you leave..." Cat said quietly and pulled away from Sam. "I shouldn't hug you anymore. It made you want to leave me." She closed her eyes and wiped away her tears when Sam just stared at her with an unreadable expression. "Listen, your hugs are ok, I took a walk for some other reason." Sam said, putting a hand on Cat's shoulder. "What made you want to leave...?" Cat asked innocently when she put her head on Sam's shoulder and intertwined their fingers. "Uh...I just missed Carly and Freddie, that's all." Sam lied. To her, they abandoned her without even saying goodbye. She couldn't stand the thought of them; especially Carly. She thought about the day she admitted her true feelings for her, only to have her heart broken by her best friend. She even left for Italy without saying a word, so Sam didn't even try to talk to her after they abruptly parted ways. "Oh, well I'm just glad you're back with me. I was scared of being all alone in the house at night...." Cat said shivering in Sam's arms. "It'll be ok, I won't ever leave you alone at night again." Sam said, breaking free from the red-head's affectionate binds. "I...I missed you." Cat said shyly, looking down and twiddling her fingers. Sam's eyes widened at the way she said it, but she cleared her throat and just smiled. "Well, you should be hittin' the hay." Sam said and patted Cat on the back. "Kk, goodnight." Cat turned cheery and went off to the bathroom to shower and get ready for bed. As Sam waited for Cat to get out of the shower, she spotted her phone and got an idea of how she could express her infatuation for Cat.