Chapter 39

Cat came into the house and threw her book bag on the couch, exhausted from riding her bike. She was panting and gasping for air while walking to the kitchen to get a bottle of water. "Ugh...I can't breathe." Cat said and gulped the water down until the whole bottle was empty. Sam walked in slowly, rubbing her eyes and yawning. "Hey kid. How was your day at school?" Sam picked her up and placed her on the couch. "It was...pretty good...I got to rehearse." Cat said, still panting. "Y'know you coulda called me to pick you up." Sam said and stood in front of Cat. "I know, but you looked so peaceful when you were sleeping and I didn't want to bother you." Cat said, her breathing starting to stabilize. Sam sat next to her and patted her back softly. "No matter how peaceful I look, wake me up when you need a ride." Sam said and smiled. "Kk, I will." Said Cat as she looked down at her book bag and unzipped it. She pulled out a binder and stood to walk to the front door. "I think I want to tell Nona...but I'm scared." Cat said, a gloomy undertone in her voice. "Tell her about what?" Sam asked. "About us, Sam; that we're...together." Cat said shyly. Sam got up and walked over to Cat, placing her hands on her shoulders. "Do not tell her about us. That's the last thing an old woman with an old opinion needs to hear." Sam said in a quiet, yet demanding tone. "But Sam, you make me so happy and she trusted you to take care of me. Doesn't that count for something?" Cat asked with her wide, begging eyes. Sam turned away and went over to the kitchen to sit on the chair. "Just because I make you happy, doesn't mean she thinks relationships like our's are right." Sam said. Cat looked down and slowly realized that Nona may not except her feelings for Sam. "I guess you're right. We might as well keep her from knowing if it would make her mad." Cat said sadly. Sam smiled and tapped her fingers on the table. "Well now that we know what we're gonna do, let's head to Nona's." Cat said cheerfully and walked out the door, Sam trailing behind her. Sam picked Cat up to put her on the motorcycle and got on herself when she made sure the other girl was secure. As soon as they made it to Elderly Acres, Cat got off of the motorcycle and Sam went to park it. She waited for her to park and they walked in together, Cat holding her hand. Sam gave Cat an apologetic look as she took her hand away. "We can't." She whispered. "Oh yeah...sorry." Cat sighed and looked down sadly. "Caterina! You came! Oh and you brought Samantha with you, how lovely." Nona said when she saw them walk into the lobby. "Hi Nona!" Cat beamed at her grandmother and gave her a hug. Sam just gave a small wave and said, "Sup?" Nona sat back in her chair and motioned for the girls to take a seat next to her. "We're watching tv right now. Herman is flipping the channels until he finds something." Sam saw that Herman picked the Girl Power channel then looked over at the old man and saw he was burly with many tattoos on his arm. "Well, we know what he likes to watch." Sam said and laughed. "Oh he watches it to keep his pressure down, dear." Nona said. Sam looked back over and saw Cat sitting next to Herman, both giggling at the unicorns and rainbows. "Ugh, I can't watch this chizz." Sam said and looked down. "I agree, I'd rather watch a good drama story. But as long as they're happy..." Nona said and stared at Cat. "We could go to another tv y'know." Sam said and pulled out a wheel chair. "Oh yes! I forgot, but I don't need a wheelchair dear." Said Nona. "This is for me. I don't feel like walking around." Sam deadpanned and sat in the chair. Nona stared at her, puzzled but she ignored her and walked to the other room to find the other television. Sam wheeled after her and they found a tv in a small dining area, empty except for a small, frail, old woman sitting in the corner. "You mind if we watch the television, Diane?" Nona asked the woman. She didn't respond, so Sam just wheeled over to the tv and got the remote, going back next to Nona to turn it on. "Oh, the young and the sleepless is on!" Nona said and snatched the remote from Sam's hand, turning the channel and increasing the volume. "Ugh..." Sam grunted and sank in the wheelchair. A few minutes later, Sam became intrigued by the show. "How can she not know that he had a twin this whole time?" Sam asked angrily. Nona shushed her and they watched the tv intently. Cat walked in and said loudly, "I'm here!" causing Nona and Sam to shush her. "We're watching tv." Sam said and turned her attention back to the screen. Suddenly, the woman on the screen is kissed by the twin; only to reveal that he is actually a woman. Sam and Cat gasp and Nona grimaces. "That's just awful!" Nona said. Sam looked at Cat with an 'I told you so' face. Cat looked back at Sam and pouted slightly. Nona continued, "Gwen shouldn't have hide her love for Louise! But to just lie about it and trick Louise into thinking she's Derek is so awful!" Cat stuck her tongue out at Sam and Sam was shocked that Nona was only mad about the deception. Then on the tv, Gwen showed Louise a recording of Derek having an affair with one of his business clients. "You see? he doesn't love you the way I do Louise!" Gwen said. Nona watched and smiled at the tv, "Gwen could be so loyal to her, but Louise feels it's morally wrong since she is a catholic." She said. Cat tugs on Nona's shirt and asks, "So, you think that they could be together?" Nona smiled at her and said, "Love is a crazy thing, dear." Cat took a deep breath and asked, "What if...hypothetically, I liked someone that wasn't...a boy?" Nona chuckled and patted her on the shoulder, "I'm old not dumb, Cat. Samantha is a lovely girl and she seems very nice...well, not nice." Nona paused. "More like a lazy, selfish guard dog if you will." Sam frowned at Nona but stayed seated. "But she's loving, loyal, protective and snuggly." Said Cat. "Precisely, darling." Nona said, smiling at Sam. Sam smiled back confidently at her. "I knew you two would eventually try to be more than friends. It breaks my heart that I might not have any great grand babies to hold-" Nona said but Sam interrupted. "Hold it, we aren't tying the knot. I'm never doing that." She said sternly. "Oh..." Cat said, disappointedly. Sam looked back at Cat and tried to comfort her, but Cat avoided her touch and walked out of the room. "Cat, wait!" Sam yelled, but it was too late. Nona frowned at Sam and said, "Why would you say something like that?" Sam turned around and answered Nona. "You're the one who assumed We were going to get married!" Sam sat on the floor and put her hands on her face. "Well she only wants to marry the person she loves. And apparently that's you, Samantha." Nona said. "I know that now...how am I going to make this up to her...?" Sam asked. Nona smiled and patted her on the back. "I have just the trick to help you," she said.