Chapter 45

Cat woke up to the faint sound of music playing throughout the room. She got off of the couch to find out where the music was coming from. She peeked her head through the bedroom door and saw Sam strumming a melody on her guitar. Sam was humming a song and Cat didn't want to interrupt, so she sat down and listened intently. She recognized that it was one of her favourite songs and she hummed along quietly to harmonize with Sam. She started to lose herself in the song and her humming eventually turned into singing. Sam noticed that Cat was singing from the other side of the door and decided to open it. Cat didn't notice that the music stopped, so she was still singing her heart out. Sam stared in awe, amazed at how beautiful her voice was. Cat opened her eyes and saw Sam staring at her, startling her slightly. Sam sat next to her on the floor and put her guitar down. "Nice pipes." She said, looking at Cat expectantly. "Oh, thank you." said Cat, looking down at her legs. "No wonder you go to a really good art school. You're an awesome singer, not to mention a really great actress." Sam smirked and stared at her. Cat blushed and scooted away from her, covering her face with her hands. "Thanks..." She mumbled. "Why are you so shy now? You're usually the life of the party." Sam said and laughed. "I'm not sure why I get so shy around you. I mean, we've known each other for a while now. I feel like I can tell you anything," Cat paused and held her knees to her chest, "But I still get nervous when you get close to me." Sam smiled and scooted closer to her, putting an arm around the redhead. "You mean like this?" She said, pulling Cat closer. "Yes." She replied, her body stiffening. "I used to be like that when you first started sleeping in my bed. I didn't think you would get so close to me since we had just met." Sam said, letting go of her. "Well, I thought you were lonely and needed a friend to be close to." Cat said. Sam smiled at the innocence in her voice, then Cat continued, "But now that we're together, it means so much more when you touch me..." Sam was slightly astonished when she heard Cat say that. "What do you mean?" Sam asked. She knew what Cat meant, she just wanted her to further explain. "Um, how do I put this...?" Cat started to think, then she finally came up with an answer and looked back at Sam. "When I started off giving you a simple hug, you think it's just a hug and it's just what friends do, right?" Cat asked. "Yeah." Sam replied. "Then if I do this," Cat kissed Sam deeply and got on top of her, taking Sam's hands and placing them on her waist, "You'll want to touch me more, right?" Cat asked. "Uh, yeah." Sam said, repressing her excitement. "So after doing that...you won't think of me the same way. Then, when I give you the simple hug again...you'll remember the way we touched when we kissed, making the simple hug mean more than it did before." Cat explained. "Wow, you're right. I never thought about it that way. You're smarter than you're letting on." Sam said, surprised by Cat's explanation. "What's that supposed to mean?" Cat asked, getting off of Sam. "Nothing. It's just that you seem to be in your own world most of the time." Sam said. "Oh, well I like being in my own world. I guess it's where I feel safe." Cat said and laid her head on her knees, squeezing them tight with her arms. Sam got on her knees and crawled in front of Cat, locking their legs together when she sat cross-legged. "Are you okay?" Sam whispered in Cat's ear. Cat looked up at Sam slightly and nodded. "I'm fine." Sam stood and picked Cat up, putting her on top of her own bed. "Cat?" Sam asked. "Hm?" "You wanna sing some more?" Sam asked, picking her guitar up from the floor. "I'd love to." Cat said happily. Sam strummed her guitar once more and they both sang to their heart's content. Cat started to become tired. "My voice is kinda straining now. I need to rest." Cat said, rubbing her throat. "I'll go make you some tea." Sam said and got off of her bed. "Aw, thanks Sammy!" Cat said and let out a small weak cough. Sam hummed a tune while she took out a tea bag and put it in a cup full of water, heating it in the microwave. "I used to hate singing." Sam mumbled to herself and smiled. The tea was finally done and Sam dumped 4 packs of sugar into it, along with a large amount of honey. "She likes sweet stuff, hope this is good enough." Sam said. She came back into the room and gave Cat the tea. Cat gulped the whole thing down, starting to feel the effects of the sugar. Sam didn't know what she was in for later on that night.