Chapter 35

There was a sudden loud crash and Cat shrieked in terror. Sam ran into the bedroom when she heard the noise. "CAT!" Sam screamed and saw the redhead pinned on the floor by the refrigerator on her side of the room. "Cat! what did I tell you about climbing on things that could hurt you?!" Sam shouted while she strained her muscles putting the refrigerator back into its place and picking Cat up. "I'm sorry Sam, I just wanted some root beer." Cat said sadly with her head hung low, looking up at Sam with puppy dog eyes. "Don't try that look on me. You know what? I'm gonna drink all of the root beer to teach you a lesson." Sam scolded Cat and put the soda back at the top of the fridge. "Noooo! Sam please!" Cat screamed and tackled Sam with surprising strength onto the floor. "What the crud?!" Sam didn't expect Cat to be so strong. especially after being crushed by a refrigerator. "Sorry, I just really wanted that root beer. You saw how hard I tried to get it and you just take it away!" Cat pouted and sat on the floor with her arms crossed. "Geez, take it easy. I'll get you the soda then." Sam grumbled. She got on her bed and grabbed it, giving it to Cat. "Eeeeek! Thanks Sammy!" Cat gave her a peck on the cheek and ran to the kitchen. "That girl is something else..." Sam said to herself and scratched her head. When Sam went to check on Cat a few minutes later, she saw her on the floor with a sickened face. "Ughhhh....I drank too much root beer." She burped and groaned in pain. Sam laughed at her and knelt down beside her. "That's what you get. Mama knows what she's talkin' about when she limits your soda drinking." Cat laid on her back and rubbed her stomach. "I'm sorry Sam...my tummy hurts so much. Do you know anything to help it?" She stayed on the floor and rubbed her stomach until she burped again, letting out another pained groan. "You made your bed and now you're gonna have to lay in it." said Sam, smirking and patting Cat's stomach before she got up and went back to her room. "She had me so stinkin' worried, and all she wanted was some of my dang soda. What the crud is wrong with that chick?" Sam mumbled while flopping onto her bed. Sam woke up to see Cat next to her; sitting on her chair petting her purple giraffe and talking to it quietly. She saw that Sam was awake, so she stopped talking and just smiled at her, staring for the longest time. "Uh, you wanna take a picture so you don't have to stare at me like a creep?" Sam asked. "What? no. I just...wanted to thank you for saving my life again." Cat said and curled her hair around her finger. "No problem, apparently it's my job now." Sam said and smiled. "If I could pay you, I'd give you a billion dollars because of how great of a job you're doing." Cat giggled and kissed Sam. "If I had that much money I'd be traveling the world." Sam said putting her arms behind her head. "You'd take me with you right?" Cat asked pleadingly. "Sure kid, why not." Sam shrugged. She got up and went to the front room, Cat trailing behind her. "I'm gonna go for a walk." Sam said, putting her shoes and jacket on. "Um, c-can I come too...?" Cat asked and stood a few feet away from Sam, smiling shyly. Sam sighed and opened the door without a word, stepping out and leaving Cat behind. Cat frowned and stayed where she was until she saw Sam's arm motioning for her to come along. "Yay!" Cat cheered and followed Sam outside. They walked in silence until they reached the forest Sam had recognized. "Sam, is this where you were when I was home that one time?" Cat asked and stared at the trees, all lined uniformly to make a road. "Yeah. This place is where I go to think about stuff when I want to get away from it all." Sam said, in a trance. She slowly walked into the forest, following the path to the pond she had seen once before. Cat ran after her and held her arm tightly, as the sun started to set. "It's going to get pretty dark out here..." Cat said and started to shiver. "Mhm..." Sam simply replied, going over to sit on the flat rock that she located without difficulty. Cat stood next to the rock, staring at Sam with a nervous expression, but she managed to climb onto the rock and sat close to her girlfriend. They both stared in awe when the sunset reflected off of the pond and showed their reflections. "Sam, this is amazing. No wonder you were here for so long. I'm glad you let me come with you." Cat said and Sam just nodded slowly. They sat in silence, a small gap between them. Cat looked over at Sam and Sam did the same. They stared at each other, silently swooning over one another. "When the light hits your eyes like that...you look even more beautiful than usual." Sam said, a lovestruck expression on her face. "Sam...you're so romantic." Cat blushed and looked away, covering her face with her arms. "I really mean it. You look amazing." Sam said and took Cat's arms away from her face, taking her hands into her own. "Sam...I..." Cat was speechless and blushed deeply. Sam pulled Cat closer and held her, making Cat put her head on Sam's shoulder. She looked up at Sam and kissed her under her chin. Sam looked down and kissed Cat softly. Cat giggled when they broke the kiss and looked at the pond again. The sunset faded and the sky turned a deep indigo colour. "I have something for you." Sam said and Cat turned around to face her. "What is it?" Cat asked. Sam reached into her pocket and pulled out a small box. She gave her the box and Cat opened it up, gasping and smiling wide. It was a golden necklace with a jewelled giraffe charm made of alexandrite. "Sam...this is the sweetest gift anyone has ever given me..." Cat started to cry and Sam turned the necklace over. "Look at what it says." Sam said and Cat read the back. "It says...I'll be your Puckle if you'll always be my valentine..." Sam smiled and put the necklace on her. "I even spelled my name wrong for you. It's cheesy, I know." After Sam put the necklace on her, Cat tackled her off of the rock and kissed her deeply. "Woah! What's gotten into you?" Sam chuckled after she broke away from the kiss. Cat put her arms around her neck and cuddled with her on the ground. "I just love you so much..." Cat said, tears trailing down her cheeks. "I love you too, kid." Sam said and stroked her hair. They got back onto the rock when Sam told her about the lightning bugs. A few minutes later, the lightning bugs flew around and reflected their light onto the pond. Sam wrapped her arm around Cat, making her lean on her girlfriend's shoulder. after the lightning bugs flew away, the pair walked home and got ready for bed. Cat had school in the morning so she showered and put her pajamas on, taking off her new necklace and placing it in a special box. The box was wooden and had been carved with hearts along the brim with a special lock on it. Cat locked it with her key and put it into her special keepsake drawer, anxious to wear it tomorrow to show her friends.