ı 03 ı Long Time, No See

˙ ˙ ˙

"Little do you know I'm still haunted by the memories. Little do you know I'm trying to pick myself up piece by piece."

˙ ˙ ˙

I STARE AT the original hybrid in front of me, the original I thought was supposed to be down in New Orleans. My mouth gapes open as I loosen my grip on Theo in my arms, a rush of different emotions flooding my mind. But in all the chaos of emotions corrupting my mind, there's one feeling that stands out: anger.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I snap, keeping Theo in my arms.

Klaus puts his hands out in defence, a small smile on his face as he slowly walks towards me. "Now Blair, wouldn't want to swear in front of the little one now would you?" he asks, pointing to Theo.

"Mommy, who is that?" Theo asks, staring at Klaus. Klaus smiles and waves at Theo, a gesture in which Theo returns making my blood boil up more. Klaus Mikaelson isn't supposed to be here. He's supposed to have his own life and his own problems far away from here. Some part of me wonders if the only reason he came here was to dump his problems onto me which is something I refuse to take.

"Theo, go watch TV in the living room okay? I'll be right there," I instruct him, placing him down on the ground.

Klaus and I watch as Theo happily stomps to the other room, giving us more privacy. Once Theo is out of listening distance, I turn my attention back to Klaus, already feeling the steam that's about to spill out of my ears. "I'm going to ask you again, what the hell are you doing here?" I snap bitterly.

"I came to see how you were doing," Klaus admits, placing his hands behind his back as he awaits my reaction.

"Like hell you did. Tell me there real reason you drove seven hours to see me. Was it because you need something? Are you lonely?" I say, my anger surprising me. I know deep down Klaus hasn't done anything wrong, but I can't stop the rage from consuming me. Every time I look at him, he reminds me of James. He reminds me of all the things we went through together, all the things Klaus put us through that ended up making James and I closer in ways unimaginable. His sudden presence shocks me none the less as I thought I had left my old life behind. Not to mention I've already been on edge tonight, and to have a surprise guest isn't the ideal way to calm ones nerves. 

"Blair, can you please calm down," Klaus says quietly. "I don't understand why you're so upset, so please talk to me." 

"Why would you care?" I say, running a hand through my hair. 

"Is it that hard to believe I possess the capability of compassion?" he asks lowly, hurt filling his voice.

I purse my lips and shake my head, staring at the ground as I feel the familiar lump forming in my throat, signalling that I'm on the verge of turning on the water works again. The symptoms of when I'm about to break down have become more and more second nature to me, as I experience them almost every day.

"Then Blair, please tell me what's wrong," he says, taking another step towards me so we're only two feet apart.

"I've been trying every single day for the past year and a half to rid myself of the memory of my past life, as it's filled with nothing but James, yet here you show up unannounced practically giving me no choice but to remember everything and I can't handle it okay! I thought I could, but I can't!" I shout, forgetting that Theo is in the other room. "I lost contact with every single person from Mystic Falls, in hopes that I could move on, yet here you are. When I look at you Klaus, I see your childhood friend James. I see the memories you gave back to me of James. I see all the things you put myself and James through. It all connects back to James!" I croak, beginning to choke on the tears I'm trying so desperately to keep down.