ı 31 ı The Funeral

˙ ˙ ˙

"When we're touching those sweet little words feel too easy to say"

˙ ˙ ˙

THAT NIGHT  was perhaps one of the worst nights for Caroline. She didn't speak much the entire night, as she was still overwhelmed with the whole thing. We all agreed to stay at the Salvatore Boarding house, determined that we all be there for Caroline even if she insisted she was fine; I know for one thing that she is very far from fine.

James brought over a few suitcases full of our clothes and Theo's toys, as we had agreed to move back into the Boarding house for the time being. It's just easier, more convenient and that suburban house Matt found for us just isn't cutting it.

With the help of everybody, we are able to set up a funeral for the next day. It's Stefan and Elena's doing really, as they are the most focused and determined to make sure Sheriff Forbes gets the funeral she deserves. I on the other hand am more concerned about Caroline, so I spend the night with her, curled up by the head of the couch with her head on my lap.

We all wake the second the sun rises, as we know we have a big day to plan. Damon is the first one up, as he apparently was given the honours of writing Sheriff Forbe's eulogy. As Caroline writes down a list of things that need to get done, I make my way into the kitchen where Damon sits, several scrunched up balls of paper surrounding him.

"You're wasting paper," I remark, walking over to the fridge.

"Go away," he groans, dragging his hands down his face.

I ignore his protests as I sit down across from him, pouring myself a mug of blood. "So a eulogy, huh?" I say warily, tapping my finger against the glass mug.

"Don't start, Blair," he mutters without looking up from his blank paper.

"Huh?" I scrunch my brows up in confusion.

"I don't need to be reminded of how I failed dramatically to write mom's eulogy," he states sternly, looking up at me. "I am going to write it this time," he says, gripping the pen in his hand so tightly, I fear it's going to snap in half.

I place my hand on his, easing his tension a little bit. "I wasn't even thinking about mom's eulogy," I say quietly, biting my lip as I let my mind wander back to that horrible day.

"Oh," Damon whispers, his expression soft as he places his hand on top of mine. "I think Liz wanted me to write her eulogy, to give me another chance seeing as I didn't write one for our mother like I was supposed to," he admits quietly. "I have no idea where to start." He laughs lightly, clearly stressed.

I lick my lips before drawing in a breath. "Well," I begin, staring at the blank sheet of paper within his hands. "You knew Liz long before I did, knew her well. I know she was your friend, and maybe even resembled a motherly figure to you. Whatever the case is, all that matters is that she was your friend. But, the eulogy isn't for Liz, or even yourself; it's for Caroline, so she can heal. A eulogy is for the loved ones, so make it something Caroline would want to hear from her mother," I advise, pursing my lips.

He ponders about my words for a few seconds, biting his own lip as he taps the pen against the table. Before he can respond, Caroline walks in.

"Blair! We're going casket shopping," she says quickly before leaving us.

I smile faintly before standing up and walking out of the room. "Thank you, Blair," Damon calls out, sending me a sincere smile. I only nod before walking out to Caroline, preparing myself for this hectic day.