ı 20 ı Friendsgiving

˙ ˙ ˙

"What would I do without your eyes, the way they look at me and mine."

˙ ˙ ˙

I HATE holidays. Any holiday really, especially thanksgiving. I haven't really even celebrated holidays since I was a child, which was more than one hundred years ago. I mean, during the two years Theo and I spent alone, the only two things we partially celebrated were Christmas and his birthday. But even then, I only put up a small two foot tree, the size of Theo just for the fun of it.

I've never been a big fan of holidays, mostly because of my childhood. Holidays were spent with yelling, furious family members, and my father was almost never there due to his vampire council duties. Not that I was bothered by his absence, but still it didn't make the holidays feel right. Holidays back then were nothing but a reminder of the broken family I had.

"Remind me again why we're going to 'friendsgiving'?" I ask flatly, resting my head on my hand against the window of James's truck.

"Because it's what friends do on thanksgiving," James replies succinctly, giving me a teasing smirk.

"Yeah, well we could have had our own thanksgiving." I point out. "You could've cooked us an amazing turkey, since you know, you wanted to be a chef."

James chuckles as he pulls into the driveway of Jo's house, only a few minutes away from Whittmore College. He hops out first, going to the back to unbuckle Theo as I stare blankly at the house in front of me. Several cars are parked outside already, meaning there are people already inside. Damon's car however is missing which is slightly concerning.

"Hey," James says, opening the passenger door with Theo in his arms. "You coming?" 

I sigh and take a deep breath. "Do I have to?" I whine childishly, causing James to laugh.

"Come on. It's not that bad, trust me. Blair Salvatore, I'm going to show you what a real thanksgiving looks like," he assures me, holding out his hand for me to take. I stare at it for a few seconds before giving in, taking it and climbing out of the truck.

He takes my hand and holds it until we get to the door, allowing Theo to press the doorbell. He lets out a giggle as he does so, causing the two of us to laugh. Seconds later, Jo opens the door with a friendly smile.

"Hey!" she greets. "Welcome, come on in." 

She smiles, standing off the the side to allow us in. I force a smile as I walk in as I slip off my shoes. James sends her a kind smile and nod before he does the same, setting Theo down.

Jo leaves and takes our jackets just as Caroline spots us and proceeds down the long hallway toward us. "Thank god you guys came! We were running out of friends!" she jokes with a laugh, embracing me in a tight hug.

"What do you mean?" I question her, as she gives Theo and James a welcoming hug.

"You didn't hear?" She furrows her brows, standing up straight. I shake my head eagerly, motioning for her to continue. "Oh, well Stefan, Damon and Alaric aren't coming." 

"What? Why the hell not?" I spit out, suddenly angered my brothers aren't going to be here. They're part of the reason besides Caroline I agreed to come. The three of us Salvatore's haven't had a holiday meal together in over a hundred years.

Caroline stares at me as her lips slowly curl upwards into a huge grin, obviously keeping something from me. "What is it Caroline?" I push in aggravation.