ı 07 ı Vampires Without Borders

˙ ˙ ˙
"This broken heart can still survive with a touch of your grace"

˙ ˙ ˙

RESEARCHING IS not my best skill, especially when it comes to technology. I'm more of a grimoire photo book type of girl. Sit me in front of a computer and I'll probably find myself on Youtube watching videos of cats chasing lasers. But place me in front of an old, antique book and I'll read for hours upon hours until I find something useful. People on the other hand are not part of my forte either, which is where Joel comes in. He's a people loving person and is able to entertain anyone really, which is useful when seeking out information.

So here we are, the three amigos using our skills to find some sort of solution to the anti-magical boarder surrounding our home. I am the awkward book girl, James is the brainy tech guy, and Joel is the annoying, over talkative social butterfly. We find ourselves sitting in my living room while Theo attends preschool seeing as he's missed quite a few days. It took a little bit of compelling to persuade Ms. Pottsman that Theo had excused absences when in reality he did not. He was off watching people step back from the dead, which was more than enough of an excuse not to be attending preschool. It just so happens it's not a very believable one and would probably get Theo taken away from me by child services if anyone ever heard me say the story aloud.

"There isn't one thing in this goddamn book that explains how to eliminate an anti-magic boarder," I huff in frustration.

"That's because you're not reading in between the lines Detective Salvatore. Jeez, haven't you ever heard of inferencing? The solution isn't just going to pop out at you," Joel snickers, amusing himself.

"Why don't you do your job and talk to people? Social butterfly my ass," I mutter with a laugh.

"Hey! I would talk to people and solve this case in no time if I were actually surrounded by people who knew what they were doing!" he exclaims.

"Hey!" I yell, reaching forwards to slap Joel when suddenly James speaks out.

"Wait, I think I found something!" he exclaims in excitement, his eyes glued to the laptop screen.  "It's ground breaking information, actually," he says, before spinning the MacBook around so the screen is visible to Joel and I.

However, instead of finding a screen filled with words, it's filled with an old painting of an 1700's Joel Branson dressed in skin tight leggings and a white wig with curly hair like the ones they use to wear back in the day. The more I stare at the picture do I realize Joel is standing beside George Washington.

"No shit!" I snort, laughing hysterically at the image in front of me.

"What the fuck, where did you find this!" Joel shouts, attempting to delete the picture only to have James snatch the laptop away. "Delete that man! Thats embarrassing!" 

"Oh I know," James laughs. "But this picture was probably published in millions of history textbooks and is on the web. You'll never be able to take this pic down pal." James grins.

"You and George look just like twins!" I clap, not able to get the image out of my head.

"Yeah, he and I were pals," Joel admits proudly.

"When in the world did you meet George Washington?" James questions his brother.

"I believe it was 1788, the year I compelled my way into politics just for fun. Turns out it's actually very boring." Joel shrugs.

"Well this picture sure isn't boring!" I laugh. "I can practically hear the screams just by looking at this as your legs suffocate in those leggings," I tease as Joel sends me a growl.