ı 42 ı Mysterious Distance

˙ ˙ ˙

˙ ˙ ˙

"All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you."

˙ ˙ ˙ 

MY MIND has been awake since last night, not even daring to drift into a state of sleep in which I so badly need. I need sleep to make me feel refreshed, brand new, and after the conversation with Damon last night, I just want to keep things positive. I can't have myself feel jealous, nor will I allow myself to. I have so many things to be happy about and grateful for; like how I smell a Delena wedding in the near future.

My eyes close every now and then during the night, but I never really fall asleep, which kind of sucks considering I had a decent amount of bourbon; I had hoped that I could sleep it off, but even now as a vampire I know I'm going to feel the effects of it today.

I turn over, expecting to see James curled up beside me, but his side of the bed is empty. The sheets are all wrinkled from where he slept, but he isn't here. I turn to the nightside table beside me and glance at the time, surprised to see it's only ten in the morning. I thought I had slept in later.

With a yawn I get out of bed and quickly slip on some leggings and a simple t-shirt, not bothering to really pull myself together. I want to know where the heck everyone is first. I stand out in the hallway, one hand behind my ear to quietly listen for anyone, but I hear nothing. My vampire hearing doesn't even pick up a light breathing or heartbeat.

Starting to panic, I jog down the stairs and into the kitchen, taking in the scene for any forms of life. There's a fresh blood bag in the garbage and a coffee mug in the sink meaning someone was here this morning, however there isn't much to go off of. I try to picture who could be here, try to imagine what this place looked like this morning while I was asleep.

Judging by how clean the kitchen is, how the blood bad was neatly placed in the garbage with no spills and how the mug is filled with soap and water in the sink, I come to the assumption that it was James that stood in the kitchen this morning. My brothers would have left it a mess, and frankly I would've too.

"You see a ghost or something?" a voice pops up from behind me, sending me jumping in fear while standing, causing me to do a little hop.

I turn around, my eyes wide and cautious only to realize it's Joel who stands behind me. He wears only his boxers, while chewing on a piece of burnt toast. "Jesus," I mutter while sighing in relief. "I've seen plenty of ghosts actually. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we're being watched by one right now."

"The other side is demolished, remember sweetheart?" he sneers with his mouth full of food.

I only roll my eyes, grabbing myself a blood bag to suck on. "You been here the whole time?" I question, confused as to how I didn't hear his heartbeat nor breathing. Maybe it was lighter because he's a vampire- and old one too.