ı 17 ı I See Dead People

˙ ˙ ˙

"Even if I can't understand, I'll take the pain. Give me the truth"

˙ ˙ ˙

THE AMOUNT OF people I have witnessed come back from the dead is far too many for my mind to handle. I've endured the pain from loosing people only to have the pain miraculously subside with the resurrection of the ones I've lost. It doesn't make any sense, nor should it.

"Y-you're dead, you're gone," I repeat myself, holding an accusing finger up to him.

Damon cautiously sets down the bottle of bourbon as he slowly approaches Stefan and I. Stefan takes my hand tightly as if he's trying to find something that's real, something to hold onto.

"Yes, I was. But now I'm not," Damon speaks slowly, his face contorted into pure sadness and guilt. He's come back to two siblings who are beaten and broken down, one of which is breaking down in front of him while the other won't say a word. Stefan's in shock and I'm a mess.

"Blair," he says, going to touch me but I back away, frightened of his touch. Scared to face the reality that he's real.

Stefan however seems to snap out of his shocked state and abruptly grasps Damon by the shoulders, his eyes lighting up as his hands take in the pressure of Damon's flesh body. "You're real," Stefan gasps and Damon nods.

"Yes," Damon smiles desperately, taking Stefan into a brotherly hug. "I'm real," he laughs, holding on tight to Stefan as they stay in each other's embraces for several seconds.

I however get out of that tomb the first chance I get, needing some air. I seem to be choking on the shock, struggling to breathe in reality. I anxiously scramble out of the tomb and into the dark cemetery, taking deep breaths.

"Blair!" Damon yells, both he and Stefan walking to find me. He rolls his eyes in annoyance when he sees me hyperventilating, but I ignore it. "Why can't you ever accept people coming back from the dead? You'd think you'd be use to it by now!" 

"Damon," Stefan warns, slapping him in the shoulder. "She never trusts her own eyes, you know that. You have to let her feel, force her to believe. She missed you," Stefan explains, giving Damon and encouraging nod. "We both did."

Damon sighs and relaxes a bit, his face softening as he takes in the seriousness of my state. "Blair, listen to me."

I look over at him, my eyes welling up with more tears as he walks towards me. "I'm not going anywhere, Blair," he says. 

I suddenly feel a pit of anger rising from within me, replacing any of the shock that I feel. "How could you?" I growl.

"What- are you mad at me?" he scoffs.

"Mad? You bet I'm mad!" I yell, my voice echoing throughout the empty forest. "You volunteered to trigger an explosion, lied to my face about it! And then, you had Joel snap my neck so that I wouldn't try to stop you, so you could be a goddamn hero. I-I didn't even really get to say goodbye! You did, because you knew the risks! You knew you might not come back, and you didn't! So yeah, I'm mad, because you left me on purpose!" 

"I would never leave you on purpose Blair," he says honestly, walking towards me. I keep walking back, wanting to keep the same distance between us. It appears I've walked too far back as I feel an agonizing pain in my chest, like something is grabbing my heart. I've crossed the anti-magic border.

"You-ah-" I'm cut off as the pain begins to rise, blood seeping through my jacket. The red, hot liquid falls to my hands, the blood visible to Damon as his eyes widen with fear. In an instant he speeds over to me, crossing the border himself before carrying me back, both of us are safe outside the border.