ı 15 ı The Reason

˙ ˙ ˙ 

"It's so hard to say it but I've been here before. Now I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."

˙ ˙ ˙ 

HERE I THOUGHT  packing up my entire house would be the most emotional thing ever, but in fact it's quite the opposite. I actually feel some sort of release packing everything away, which only means I'm doing the right thing- that we're doing the right thing. We din't want to admit it which is why it took so long to figure our problem out, but we need to return home. The only problem is going to be breaking the news to Joel, Logan and Christina. 

"It looks so empty," I laugh with wide eyes, staring at the living room James and I stand in. We've been up all night packing away, and by now we've just about finished the entire house. 

"Does it feel good? To see it so empty?" James asks, with tired eyes. 

I smile and nod, walking over to place a kiss on his cheek. "It does," I say, before going to the fridge and grabbing us some blood bags to wake our tired bodies up. If we're going to leave today, we need to be awake. 

"Hey, I'm sorry for getting mad at you yesterday, at the bar. It.. it didn't feel good, like every word I said burned my throat like I had drowned seven shots. I'm sorry, I truly am," he says gently, staring at the blood bag I tossed him in his hand. 

"I'm sorry too," I say, going over to give him a hug when suddenly the front door rings. My whole stomach twists in an uncomfortable knot, my breath catching in my throat. However, James's soft touch on my shoulder assures me that everything will be okay. We just have to break the news to them. 

"Hello," I say with a tight smile, opening the front door all the way. 

Joel, Logan and Christina stand outside, each with a coffee in their hands. "Please tell me there's some sort of emergency, crisis, or death that you felt the need to wake me up at eight in the morning on a Saturday," Christina growls, her frizzy hair tucked into a tight pony tail. 

"There is, believe me," I sigh as I motion for them to come in. 

They all trudge inside, Joel sending me a suspicious look as he passes. Part of me senses he knows what we're about to say. All I can do is hope he's understanding. 

"Have a seat," I say, gesturing the the lone piece of furniture in the living room, the couch. 

"Jesus, are you guys going on vacation or something?" Christina scratches her head. 

"Are you guys getting married?" Logan questions bluntly. 

"Why the bloody hell would all their furniture be gone if they were getting married? Or going on vacation?" Joel scoffs, crossing his arms across his chest. "The real reason is because they're leaving, moving away," he states, his voice laced with a hint of anger. 

"What?" Christina gasps, her eyes suddenly wide. 

"Are you serious?" Logan asks, cocking his head to the side in disbelief. 

"Am I right?" Joel questions, sitting back in his seat, awaiting an answer. He sits with a devious smirk, like he's proud of the pot he's just stirred. 

"Joel, don't be such a dick, okay? This was our choice," James intervenes, glaring at his brother. 

"But what about your job? I thought you finally found the career you were always meant to do?" Christina gapes, confusion and shock clearly written on her face.