ı 19 ı This is on You

˙ ˙ ˙

"Me and my heart, we'll make it through"

˙ ˙ ˙

HOSPITAL waiting rooms are one of the most depressing environments I've ever been in, even worse than a cemetery. In cemeteries, you know the person is dead and now it's all about grieving. But hospitals are filled with uncertainty. There are only two things that could come out of a doctor's mouth- either 'I'm sorry' or 'I have good news'. Right now, all three of us are waiting for the benefit of the doubt.

It's Stefan, James and I waiting outside Alaric's room, waiting for the mystery woman whose name I learned was Jo, to inform us on his status. Elena's memories are still haunting me in the back of my mind, but that doesn't matter any more. Even if Alaric did die now, he would die human and the compulsion would remain.

I have my head rested on James's shoulder, our hands entwined as Stefan sits on the other side of me, tapping his foot excessively on the tile ground. All of us are covered in dried blood, the caky liquid glueing our clothes to our skin.

I'm just about to finally give into sleep as the sun rises when suddenly Jo exits Alaric's room and walks over to us. This is the defining moment, the moment that makes hospital waiting rooms all that much worse than cemeteries.

"So?" Stefan asks right away, jumping out of his seat. I know deep down he feels partially responsible, which makes me only feel worse.

"He's going to be okay," Jo smiles, her hands stuffed in the pockets of her lab coat.

"Thank you." James smiles up at her, as the two of us stand. Jo only nods and walks away, leaving the door to Alaric's room wide open for visitors.

I gulp at the uncomfortable sight, struggling with myself as my mind keeps going back to Elena's memories. I can't help but blame Alaric for my brother's pain. He should have never erased her memories. He should have known better.

"Well, well." I smile faintly, approaching his bed. "How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Pretty decent for a dead man," he replies in a raspy voice, laughing slightly only to wince later in pain.

"Human, actually," James corrects, smiling politely at Alaric.

"Yeah," Alaric chuckles. "I never thought I'd see the day again. It's a miracle. I never wanted to become a monster." 

"No one does," I mutter bitterly, pursing my lips. I feel James take my hand to calm me down, but it's too late now. Alaric notices my shift in mood so he sits up straighter in his bed, preparing to confront me.

"Blair," he begins, but I hold up a finger to cut him off.

"Alaric, I'm glad you're okay, I really am, but Damon- my brother, has been looking out for me for as long as I can remember. He's sacrificed so many things for me, even when I didn't know it. Yes, he's a pain in the ass and he says things that probably aren't the nicest, but he's still my brother," I say, pointing an accusing finger at him. 

"I owe him happiness, the chance to fall in love even if it is with Katherine's doppleganger. I don't see anything in her, but he clearly does which is all that matters. I asked you to do one simple thing Alaric! One simple thing! To erase the compulsion!" I scold him, my voice now raised.

"Damon deserves happiness, and you took that away from him! You've caused him more pain!" I yell, James's grip tightening on my hand. He doesn't say anything however, nor does Stefan because he knows I'm right. "You knew Elena wasn't going to ask to take the compulsion away, yet you didn't do anything about it! It was your responsibility as Damon's friend to show him compassion, to give him the love of his life back!" I shout, causing people outside our room to peak in. "Now it's too late!" I shake my head, taking a step back.