ı 09 ı House of the Rising Sun

˙ ˙ ˙

"I don't need heat, I've been burning in hell"

˙ ˙ ˙

THE LOOK on James's face as he places his eyes on his one and only truck for the first time in two years is priceless. As soon as he turns the keys I swear it's like looking at a kid watching his balloon animal be born. He keeps that goofy grin on his face for the first hour of our journey, and even now as I look over from the passenger side of the truck do I see a faint smile on his lips. 

He's completely relaxed as of right now and frankly I'm happy for him. That's all he needs because I have no idea what will be in store for us once we arrive to New Orleans.

I tried to call Elijah several times but he never once picked up, the line always heading to voicemail meaning he is either ignoring me or his phone is dead. Since we're speaking of Elijah, I'm going to guess his phone is dead unless he has some sort of grudge against me or something. Elijah isn't one for ignoring, especially me. I mean come on, I'm in-ignorable.

"So I take it we're just going to show up and hope they help us?" Joel asks, popping his head up between James and I from the back seat.

I roll my eyes and push Joel back with enough force that he plops against the back seats. "We can't exactly do anything else. Elijah won't answer and we need his help."

"Mommy who Elijah?" Theo asks from the back seat. It's just the four of us on this trip, as I refused to take Christina or Logan. They pleaded to come, desperately wanting to meet the Originals, mostly Klaus seeing as they already knew Elijah, but after all the stories I told about my past with him and the kind of unexpected temper he possessed, they were more than happy to stay home. However, Logan made me promise to keep him on speed dial in case anything happened.

"He's a friend, Tee," I say, glancing back at Theo and give him a reassuring smile.

"Give me your phone. I'll call him," Joel says, once again popping his head up in between the seats.

"Why the hell would it make a difference if you called him? It's still my phone with my caller ID," I ask incredulously, beyond astounded with Joel's lack of intelligence. Sometimes I wonder if he ever learned anything in his thousand years of life.

"I'm bored," he whines, resting his head on his hands in the middle compartment, looking out the front window as James drives down the freeway.

This time it's James who pushes Joel back, however he does it more forcefully sending Joel slamming into the backseat window. "OW!" Joel exclaims, sending death glares at his brother.

"Why does uncle Joel not have his seatbelt on? Can I take mine off?" Theo exclaims excitedly.

"No, you cannot," I tell Theo.

"Uncle Joel is bad, Tee. Only smart people wear their seatbelt." James smiles, winking at Theo.

"You guys are mean," Joel huffs in frustration as he puts on his seatbelt before sending Theo a sarcastic smile, showing him he has his seatbelt on.

"Does that mean you smart now?" Theo giggles.

"Sure does Pal," Joel laughs, not able to keep the glare on his face. It's practically impossible to stay mad around Theo.

I look back at the two of them and smile, overcome with a rush of cuteness just watching them interact. Joel may be slightly stupid and childish, but that makes him incredibly good with kids. Still smiling, I turn back around and place my hand on James's which stays on the gear shift. He sends me a small smile, the both of us trying to reassure one another.