ı 19 ı Lost & Found

˙ ˙ ˙

"Said you'd always be my white blood. Circulate the right love. I need you right here with me."

˙ ˙ ˙

THE ONLY TIME snapping ones neck is useful is when you need to put a vampire down temporarily. It doesn't take long for the bones, tendons, veins and muscles to heal, but it does allow time for one to get away. It allows one time to hop into a car, and drive past the anti-magic boarder in which they can ignite an explosion by driving their car into a building suffering a massive gas leak. It allows enough time to kill hundreds of Travellers at once, all part of the plan to end the Travellers once and for all.

By they, I surely mean Damon and Joel who I fear have already gotten themselves into trouble.

I awake with a gasp on the cold, hard floor of the forest, pine needles sticking me in my back and poking me through my sweater. I glance up at the night sky in which the moon has just taken it's rightful place, assuring me that more than several minutes has passed since Joel so wrongly snapped my neck.

That's twice in twenty four hours that Joel has snapped my neck to get away from me, and although deep down I know he was only trying to protect me, I can't help but feel anger towards his actions. Not only did I fail to believe their plan would work, but Damon knew it. He sat there while I explained my reasoning, yet he still had the nerve to put his life on the line to follow through with a plan that was doomed from the beginning. He knew I didn't believe it would work, which is why his eyes were filled with guilt and regret seconds before Joel snapped my neck.

From the ground where I sit, I glance around noticing Bonnie standing in the middle of the cemetery, looking around as if she's expecting to see something. From where I sit I can hear Liv chant the spell over and over, presumably giving Bonnie the power to override the other side.

My head quickly turns to the sound of light sobs coming from beside me, and it's only then do I notice Elena kneeling on the ground. Her eyes are visibly red under the moonlight, her eyes sparking with tears.

"Did he snap your neck too?" I ask her, rubbing the back of my neck.

Elena shakes her head and stares at the ground, gripping pine needles in her clenched hand. "No," she whispers. "He told me he loved me, and to respect his choice and before I knew it he and Joel had left for his car," Elena explains, finally turning to me.

I purse my lips as the look on her face really shows just how much she loves my brother. I know deep down a part of me hates her for what she did to Stefan, but I can see now the good she's done to Damon. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined Damon to volunteer to blow himself up, knowing there was a chance he couldn't come back. He chose to sacrifice himself for the people he loves, including the doppleganger sitting beside me.

"Have they-" I gulp, not believing in their plan but suddenly I feel as if I'm forced to have hope, forced to believe that their plan will work. "Have they come back yet?" I croak.

Elena shakes her head. "No. They've passed through, but Bonnie hasn't said if they've come back. It's been almost fifteen minutes." She cries, gripping the ground harder.

I frown and close my eyes, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. "Why didn't they snap your neck?" I ask curiously.

She sniffles and turns to me, a faint smile on her face. "Because they know you're more stubborn than me," she says, my lips curling up in a small smile.

From where we both sit on the ground, I place my hand over hers forcing her to release all the soil she's gathered within her clenched fists. I send her a small smile, but before I have a chance to say anything there's sound of footsteps approaching from behind us, forcing me to my feet in a quick and defensive stance.