ı 25 ı It's Called Karma

˙ ˙ ˙

"All the things that we are, but are not saying"

˙ ˙ ˙

PERHAPS the saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.

It's a feeling I've experienced once too many times in my lifetime, and now once again. I can't say I don't deserve it, seeing as I did compel one of my friends. They say enemies show that you've stood up for what you believe in, and that is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

I don't want to consider Alaric one of my enemies, but seeing as he's got me locked up in some dark room, I can't exactly call him my friend. We're both two edges on the same knife, fighting with the same enemy with different sides. He wants to save Jo and kill Kai, while I want to save Theo, and kill Kai. However, both of them will never work out without the other one suffering some sort of loss. I can only hope Alaric will hear me out, as it's the last chance I have at redeeming myself of this expiration date Kai placed on me not twelve hours ago.

"ALARIC!" I scream at the top of my lungs, once again.

My hands are tied in vervain soaked ropes, several chains tied against my legs, securing me to the concrete wall. The fact that I don't know where I am makes everything that much worse, my whole mind spinning at an uncontrollable rate. However, for a split second I'm able to focus, my eyes staying trained on several cave drawings across from me.

Then it all clicks in: I'm in the lockwood cellar, the same cellar connected to the caves the Mikaelsons carved their names in. The same cellar I was held hostage for Klaus's hybrid ceremony. The same cellar that looks identical to the tomb.

I haven't thought about that scarring place for over two years, as I had thought my mind had gotten over it. I had thought I had gotten past the post traumatic stress of that place, assuming my mind had finally found some peace with my dark past. But I guess it hasn't, as suddenly I feel my whole chest caving in, my vision turning black. I close my eyes out of panic, quickly realizing that was a mistake as the visions of fire, scream and pain take over. I haven't experienced these sort of treacherous flashbacks since the first few days of awakening from the tomb. 

Before I had James to comfort me, I had Theo by my side and I had a whole life to distract me, healing me from my flashbacks. I had thought they were permanently erased from my mind, but deep down I should have known better. An event like that will never be erased from your mind, only hidden, subsided by the environment around you. But now I have no one, nothing but my own screams and tears.

"ALARIC!" I scream again. "LET ME OUT!"

I have hot, salty tears flowing down my face, my hair sticking to my head from a mixture of blood, sweat and tears. Everything physically pains me at this moment, both fear and horror slapped across my face. I'm shaking, terrified to the bone in ways I've never been so scared in my life. I feel as if I'm going to pass out until I hear the rusty creak of a door opening, the sound of footsteps rounding down the steps into the cellar.

I stay cradled up against the wall of the cellar, gripping onto the chains that bound me so tightly that my knuckles turn white like snow. I watch with tear filled eyes as none other than Alaric rounds the corner, dropping a backpack to the ground.

"W-where am I?" I manage to say sternly, gulping down the lump in my throat that threatens to force me back into a sob.

"Take a guess," Alaric says nonchalantly. He acts with such robotic moves, his voice seemingly monotone as if he's wired. He's a man on a mission, willing to do anything to save Jo who he supposedly loves. And that is a dreadful combination, dangerous even.