ı 38 ı Complications

˙ ˙ ˙

"Both wrong and right our memories whisper before we sleep."

˙ ˙ ˙

CAROLINE MISSING was like having a serial killer on the loose. Not knowing where she was sends shivers down my spine and an ache in my heart as I truly hoped she doesn't do anything irrational or else I fear she'll never forgive herself when she comes out from all of this.

We split into different teams, each of us taking different routes to find Caroline. James, Joel and Logan left with James's truck to check on Matt and Theo, to make sure Caroline hadn't done anything to them. Stefan took his car to get Bonnie so we could do a locator spell while Damon and I took his car to scout around town.

It was kind of awkward, sitting in a car with Damon after everything that has happened. I know he's still a little mad at the fact I put myself in such a difficult position, but at the same time I know he's also a little tense about bringing it up, as if he feels like he has to walk on eggshells around me. He's scared that if he says one wrong thing, I'll blow up.

"I'm okay, you know," I speak up, glancing over at him.

He seems to be caught off guard, as he only purses his lips. "I don't want you to worry, is all," I add to clarify.

"Come on Blair," Damon groans. "That doesn't mean shit to me. If my little sister turns her humanity off, you'll be damn sure I'm going to worry," he blurts out all at once.

That's the thing with Damon; when he's angry, he literally has no filter. He says whatever he's feeling, even if he knows he shouldn't say some things. I've learned to just accept it, to just let him rant. It's not common that you find someone as brutally honest as him. 

"I just don't understand why you did it, even when you had people like James and Theo who you knew would be affected by all of this," Damon sighs, leaning his head back on the seat.

"Caroline is my friend, Damon, and she was hurting. I couldn't just stand by and watch as she tore herself apart from the inside," I explain, brining myself back to that night. It physically hurt me to see Caroline suffer from such a deep rooted pain- a pain in which I knew wasn't going to go away any time soon.

"You could have at least tried to stop her, like Elena did," Damon argues.

"Elena got her freaking neck snapped. I don't think she was really getting through to Caroline very well," I growl irritably. "I was able to reach out to Caroline, to understand her pain. I knew there was no way in hell I was going to stop her from flipping her switch, so I did the only thing I could to support her."

"Yeah, and look what happened. She dragged you down a hole of pain, Blair. She made you do things that you didn't want to, things that destroy your character." Damon continues to bicker.

"She didn't make me do anything, Damon. I decided for myself, and yes I know it probably wasn't the best option, but it was the only one I had at that particular moment," I try to assure him. I know he's only concerned about me, so I want to ease his stress. "As far as I know, I'm still the same Blair Salvatore today as I was a week ago before all of this happened."

"Are you sure? Because it sure didn't look like that this morning," Damon says, referring to how gloomy and grim I was about an hour ago. I still am a little down, but that's to be expected.

"How would you like me to be after having all my emotions shoved in my face at once? After I remember everything that I did, and feel the emotions that tag along with them? I think you'd be very concerned if I came out the other side quite content and laughing happily," I point out.