015:

She asked Raine to join them for lunch at Kirk and Coral's and he accepted. They pulled up to the completely provincial and domestic scene only to find Casey and the nanny standing outside, she-- looking diminutive and weary, long straight blonde hair lank and untrimmed against her bony shoulders, pale skin creating a washed out espression against her heavy mascara. He rocked back and forth on his heels, his hands shoved into jeans pockets, his eyes focused entirely on the man in front of him.

Tracy blinked in shuddering annoyance. She'd forgotten Austin McQueen. She popped her lips as the engine cut and Raine pulled up behind her.

Austin McQueen was nothing if not eye candy. No wonder he thought she'd have known him already. He had that Hollywood star air she had come to know. Flair, competence, congeniality. These were only second to blonde good looks, a ruggedly cut chin, sideburns, and big teeth but the effect wasn't bad at all. He had on sunglasses, but she already guessed his eyes were arresting.

Another car pulled up and half thinking it was paparazzi, she turned to the back seat, undoing Danny's car seat without getting out. She slung the diaper bag over her shoulder.

"Gramma's house." Danny said. "Pool!"

"No pool today, love bug, it's Sunday!"

"Sunny!!! Sunbeams!" He was joyful, and kicked eagerly to get out as soon as she loosened him.

Raine opened the car door for her and helped the little guy out as he ran unerringly to Gramma's door. He smiled at her. "I didn't know this was a party." He said sardonically, and she knew he could hold his own, he wasn't the least intimidated, but he might have been slightly chagrinned to see he wouldn't have her to himself.

"I forgot about the party."

She squinted at Jolie and the lawn crowd, and Austin lifted his glasses as she walked by, to give her that very debonair once over. She knew the headache was about to blossom unforgivably. She had herbs for this, if she could get to them quick enough. As she held the door for Raine, she glanced at the other guy who had driven up. Not paparazzi.

She literally stumbled over the threshold and Raine instantly grabbed her elbow as she hefted the diaper bag onto her upper arm and made it through the door, but not without another look over her shoulder at the incredibly beautiful man now standing next to Austin McQueen out on the lawn. His dark charcoal colored hair captured highlights from the hazy sun in a way that dazzled her eyes, and his expression--good grief, could anyone have a more knowing and deliberately sharp gaze? She tore herself away from it, hearing Coral reprimanding Danny for something, and she hurried inside, heart beating in a bizarre heavy anticipatory thump. She blew out her breath.

"Is everything okay?" Raine asked politely, and she turned her most sparkling and attentive smile.

"Yep. Yes, it sure is. Couldn't be better. Are you hungry? I hope you're hungry. Mom made soup and bread, and she's famous for her soups and breads. Don't be modest now, Mom, you make the very best most scrumptious soups and breads on the planet!" She gave Coral a hug as she hung the diaper bag and her sweater on a hook and proceeded to put on a purple flowered apron. "Mom did you do your hair last night? It looks om...." She rescued Danny's small figure from the kitchen and handed him off to Grandpa Kirk. "Keep this little guy out of trouble, will ya, Daddy-o?"

Raine had taken off his suit coat and hung it beside Tracy's outer wear. He rolled up his sleeves. "What can I do?"

"Yes, baby doll, I did do it, much to my shame, now there's no one to blame but myself. If it's tinged orange, well, then it's my own fault! Here, young man, you can set the table."

Tracy got a water pitcher, giving Raine a grateful smile as the outside crowd began to wander in, still talking.

Raine had taken the silverware from Coral. He gave Tracy a raised brow and when she urged him on, he began placing the forks and spoons the way he'd been taught as a kid. Tracy nodded approvingly. She did not look up as Casey came through the door.