020:

Someone cut in. Richard had to relinquish his hold, and her father stepped up. Never had there been such a sweet and welcome moment. Her smile was dazzling as Ray continued the swirl, and she looked over his shoulder to Richard who stood back, bowed and gave her a salute. She mouthed the words, thank you, and then allowed her father--- the father she had always wished for and never had--- to give her a first daddy daughter dance.

Ray delivered her all the way back to her handsome partner and they finished the dance--- a Cinderella belle of the ball moment capturing her senses. When she finally collapsed into her seat Richard stayed close, having obviously experienced something almost or at least as earth shattering as she had.

Exuberant applause accompanied their every move. Ray flourished a theatrical bow. Tracy curtsied as best she could, having never done it before.

"Everyone was watching you. I'm so jealous!" Bridget brushed imaginary lint off Tracy's glistening skin.

She smiled, turning to accept Jules' kiss on her cheek, a reward for the out of body experience she felt she'd just had. "I guess this means you're doing his movie." He laughed, giving Richard a thumbs up behind Tracy's back.

****

Richard laughed to cover the shaky tremor he was experiencing. He couldn't take his eyes off her, everything about her drew him in. He was shocked at her heat, her sweet innocence.

She turned and laughed back over her shoulder at him. "I guess so."

He had to blink to recall what Julian had just said, and what she had just agreed to. It wasn't what he wanted from her. Not like that, on the basis of one stirring moment. He wanted to savor it first. And not have her make a decision because of it-- that excitement as they'd become one on the dance floor.

Her smile reached her eyes for the first time.

He didn't know what to say, completely speechless.

He needed a drink.

He forced his hand to calmly slap the table and give her a nod, before retreating to the bar, a less connected--- more familiar place.

"Do you have Jager?"

The bartender nodded and reached for a copper mug, not the typical serving glass, but Richard went with it, feeling the dry hot need in his throat. He wasn't prepared to face this evening and all it entailed without sustenance.

He leaned against the bar for a split second, realized it wasn't the best of images, and stood with his legs spread slightly, a practiced suave uninterested look on his face. It was much easier to survey the room from here.

The stage drew his attention. Trask Wilkie was still drumming, but the band was simply a house back-up for a house singer now, one who settled in for mid-line dance music, smooth. The big stuff had already happened. He glanced at his watch--almost midnight. His drink appeared and he downed it straight and asked for another.

Out of the corner of his eye, he caught the turn of her head. She'd been looking at him.

Good.

No--- hell.

He didn't care.

He looked back at her. His fingers itched with the way her skin had felt beneath his hand, the silky stray curls he'd been privileged to skim, her sexy curves, small breasts and narrow waist, flaring hips. He nodded to her and raised the new glass in a silent tribute.

Awareness of a new proximity caught his attention and he waited for Tracy's answering nod, which didn't come, just that steady gaze of hers, coupled with a very small smile.

"Richard-- what are you doing?" Austin, of course. His contemplation would be interrupted by his best friend.

"Toasting our good fortune."

"She said yes?"

He nodded and finally tore his eyes away from her to look Austin squarely in the face. It was a face he was more than familiar with. He caught the lift of lip, the tightening of eyebrow. He was pleased. Very pleased.

He forced himself to look down the bar. Who else would want a liaison tonight? There were several that met his gaze with interest. A blonde-- too much like Tracy. A brunette-- too much like Ally. Further down-- the little dark-eyed gal, backless, tight upper body, gave him a nod. He eased off the stool.

"Hot damn." Austin said, following Richard's gaze. "Seriously? After sampling the cake, you'd go back to the oatmeal cookie?"

"It's where I belong." He downed the last swallow, felt the burn and buzz.

"Bullshit."

Richard found Austin's eyes. "Let it be."

A double entendre-- song title or actual command?

Austin sighed. "You belong in the chair by her side. Still empty. If you don't take it, I will."

"Be my guest."

"One dance, and you're chicken shit scared out of your mind?"

"You don't understand."

"More than you know. You're letting Ally get in the way. She messed with your head." Austin quirked his brows and slapped Richard on the back, barking low under his breath for good measure.

"I'll seal the deal. You watch and learn." He held two glasses of champagne and made his way through the crowd to Tracy's table. Richard did watch. She acknowledged Austin's presence, offered the vacant chair and declined the wine like a good little Mormon girl. Watch and learn, my ass.

And over Austin's head, for a brief flash, her eyes met his again-- no slight head jerk, no real acknowledging interest. Nothing to connect them.

Except the connection.

******