084:

084:

Raine came home on August 1st and met Tracy and company in Honolulu, taking a commercial flight home to LA. It was a bittersweet reunion--- which left all involved feeling the tangible relief having him home gave.

They sat in first class, the children played and finally after about three hours, fell asleep, and Monday decided to take a nap as well. They talked about Raine's missions, the political climate, and the military aspects of his life. They spoke about the film they'd just completed. And finally Tracy curled up against Raine's arm and drifted off too.

"Why is it girls always fall asleep on your arm and it goes numb right as you want to hold them even tighter?" Raine chuckled as Austin leaned forward to removed Tracy's hair from under Raine's arm so he could adjust her easier.

Their eyes met and Austin looked from Richard to Raine and gave a comical expression. "I guess you two want to talk, eh?" he gave Richard a challenging look and then moved to an empty seat a few rows back.

"Do we need to talk?" Raine asked, eyeing Richard calmly.

Richard perked his brows. "I guess you already know what happened."

Raine nodded calmly. "Too many late nights and too much familiarity got you both in trouble."

"I want you to know, Raine, I pushed her. It was me, not her. She'll try and take responsibility for it, but it was me. I pushed her."

"I know that."

"You do?"

"She didn't tell me if that's what you mean, and I'm aware that she wants to take responsibility for all of it. It's the way she is. But I also know she doesn't feel that way about you and in that case I can forgive it as a circumstantial accident."

"A circumstantial accident. Big of you." Richard agreed, feeling the magnanimous gesture acutely, and was irritated with Raine for making it.

Raine barked a short laugh. "You want me to be mad at you?"

"I don't know. I want you to acknowledge my jealousy. I am so jealous of you."

"Are you?" Raine laughed again. "Then I guess you'll have to get over it. I'm not going to put her through a fight for her heart. She's my wife and I'm not giving her up. I don't think you're challenging me for her. I wouldn't be here if I did. What happened is in the past and you're preparing for a mission and I'm preparing for fatherhood. It's over, Richard. I want to put it behind us. I want you to become my brother and my friend. That's how I see it."

Richard contemplated this turn of events. He felt a little sick.

Raine eyed him curiously. "Be the man, my friend."

Richard drew in his breath sharply. He wanted to be angry, hurt, disillusioned. He couldn't. Raine's face was open, honest, and just caring enough to say he knew where he was coming from. "Exactly. That's how-- that's how I see it too."

"You've done so much to help Tracy, I owe you a debt of gratitude for that as well."

"I owe her a debt of gratitude I can never repay."

"I understand you're going to be heading to Alaska to work on your property there. I'd like to help."

Richard nodded. "I'd like that very much."

*****