058:

*****058:

More tired than she'd ever been, so weary she thought she could barely stay awake, she let Jake open the car door for her, as she hauled her little backpack, and her dress out of the back seat. What she didn't expect at this hour was the blaze of blue and red twirling lights in the driveway, and the sight of Richard holding Danny on his arm, and Monday speaking rather animatedly to a police officer. When she got out, Richard spotted her and let Danny down so he could run to her.

"Oh Momma! Momma!" He threw himself into her arms, and she scooped him up, her eyes raising to the reflecting lights against the azure night sky. Another two vehicles pulled up behind her, and Jake and the other three security personnel were already over there.

"I'm so glad to be home! Have you been a good boy? Oh, how I missed you!" She hugged and kissed his sweet face, felt his little arms squeeze her tight and turned to face the catastrophe, whatever it was.

"I always good." Danny told her, leaning back as she walked over to where Monday was shouting and crying and quite hysterical. Richard--- on his feet—just looked vexed.

"What is it?" Tracy asked striving for calm, not wanting to scare Danny any more than he might already be.

"I took them out to dinner." Richard rubbed his hand over his eyes in annoyance. "And somebody broke in and killed the ferret."

"Killed the ferret! Our ferret? What?" Tracy juggled the backpack and Danny, turning to hear Monday's account, as she half screamed her findings.

Richard had instantly noted the new ring sparkling on her finger as he plucked it up from where it resided against Danny's back. His eyes rose, and then the brows drew together, and he shook his head and sighed. She bit her lip--- wishing he could just be happy for her, but she knew how he felt, had always known, and had only done the minimal to dissuade him. Here he was--- living in her home still.

But Richard made it all relevant as he took Danny from her unresisting arms, and with his other arm, simply drew her into his side, pressing her there with a firm grip, as he kissed her forehead. "Good for you, baby, good for you."

She tried to smile through her weariness, but her thoughts were running rampant. "Who would do such a thing? Where was security? How did they get in?"

"They're trying to figure that out right now. In the meantime, if you want we can go to Austin's for the night, I already called him, and he is expecting us." Richard jostled Danny, and kept his hand on Tracy's back. He kept her pushed forward just slightly so she wasn't looking directly into his devastated eyes.

"I just wanted my own bed." She murmured. "Would it be safe to stay here tonight do you think?"

The police officer turned to her and after a few pleasantries and introductions, he said he didn't see why she couldn't stay in her own home. They had made sure no one was hiding inside, and the remains of the animal were properly disposed of.

She turned to Richard. "I'm not letting some disgruntled fan drive me from my home." She thanked the officers and nodded to Monday before heading inside. She made all the appropriate condolences to Danny, and promised to get another ferret as soon as they could.

What hadn't been cleaned up was the paint smeared message on the hardwood floors---- TRACY BURN IN HELL and SELL OUT and FOR WHAT YOU DID TO CASEY.

******