075:

075:

Tracy paced around the NICU lobby holding the phone from the nurse's station in one hand, and the receiver in the other. The hospital security team stood braced on this side of the large double doors, holding off the plethora of reporters that were hounding Richard and Tracy in the wake of the terrible morning explosion.

Tracy glanced up and watched Richard, his head bandaged, limp as far as the pay phone cord would let him, which wasn't far. Who was he talking to? His blood spattered t-shirt and jeans still reminded her of their harrowing experience.

"Yeah." She said to answer whatever her dad had just asked her. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Ray had already covered all the bases, and recognized his daughter's shock induced numbness. "I said, I spoke with Minako Hamilton, Jules' step-mom, she has a penthouse here in New York and you guys will be moved there while my house is being renovated and cleaned up."

"Is she there?"

"She and the girls are in the Philippines at the moment, visiting family. The place will be opened for you as long as you need it."

"I can afford a hotel, dad, that isn't why I called. I just wanted to touch base with you about the insurance. I talked to them and gave my report. Are you coming here?"

"I'm coming, but Shanna and the girls are going home. This funeral about killed us all." She could tell by his voice he was emotionally drained as well. Too many things kept happening.

She spoke for a few more minutes, anticipating seeing him in a few hours and eventually gave the phone back to the nurse on duty, while she went into the wash-up part of the NICU and started the timer. The numbness actually came and went. She knew her father identified with it, he'd told her that depression ran in their family, and when she'd talked to Lorraine, her biological mother, serious depression persisted in that side of the line as well.

The nurses nodded at her, as she entered the darkened peace of the NICU, noting a few sets of parents or grandparents outside the incubators in the line-up of rows. A chair or two had been pulled up. She smiled at them, and then made her way to the semi-secluded room Steven occupied. When she entered the NICU nurse on duty came up behind her.

"He's doing better today, Tracy." She said gently, her voice hushed but encouraging. "We're so sorry about what happened, but so thankful at the same time, that you and Mr. Mann were not in the vehicle."

Tracy nodded, her lips trembling. "Such a blessing, to be sure." She went to the glass and pulled back the flaps on the glass incubator. "As is this little miracle."

"It was touch and go there though the last two nights, but today he's gained a couple of ounces, and doctor said we can try without the CPAP again. His x-rays came back clear."

Tracy's eyes strayed to the nurses. "Clear?"
"No pneumonia."

Tracy couldn't speak, as the nurse nodded to her, eyes slanted down to give her some privacy. "Wait." Tracy looked up quickly. "Can I hold him then?"

The nurse stepped aside as the doctor came into the room smiling with the good news. "The RDS is subsiding."

"You're sure?"

"Yes."

"Can I hold him?"

"Yes. I think you both deserve that today of all days. Why don't you get suited up in sterile? Ask Jenny. I'll be back. You can change his diaper and then Jenny will show you how to swaddle him. I'm taking his CPAP out, and the IV. I feel he is strong enough to take the bottle, let's have you do that as well. The breast bank you requested sent over some breast milk for him."