040:

She left for the slopes the next morning before Austin and Richard even got out of bed, and stayed there till past noon, enjoying the solitude, and the new snow. Everything about the ski run was magic, and the tension she'd felt during her early morning encounter was gone. She felt enthused, energetic, and ready to take on the world again. Wind in her ears had done it. Dazzling white, accented by stark pine green trees, and views of craggy peaks above, surrounded by majestic towering rock formations; these things eased the ever present rush of pressure she felt most of the time.

Hungry, by two, she decided to return to the cabin, which wasn't really a cabin, but a full-fledged house, on beautiful property nestled in filigreed fir trees and gray and black, marbled silver rock lined paths. She breathed deeply, riding the lift, thankful that she'd met Austin, agreed to do the film, and that he didn't mind her presence at his place.

Her other option wouldn't be ready till after Christmas. The house she and Bridget were buying in Laguna Hills.

She left her skis at the back door, and as she climbed the stairs, Austin, dressed in parachute pants and a Nike T-shirt, eating something in a bowl, presumably cereal, opened the door with his mouth full.

"The long lost prodigal sister returns!" He said, with his mouth full, and a huge chewy grin. She slapped him a high five as she entered, slipping in her socks on the hardwood kitchen floor. Her eyes adjusted to the glare off the front room that left the whole interior bathed in silhouette. And her ears adjusted to the strident tones of Toni Basil singing, "Oh Mickey, you're so fine. You're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"

She blinked, heading straight for the refrigerator, hoping Austin's chef had already come and gone leaving something yummy. The TV was blaring MTV, and she looked over to see a cheer-leader cavorting across the screen with her pompoms. She hadn't seen the music video for that particular song, and cocked a shoulder as Austin appeared at her side.

"There's manicotti, whole grain Farfalle with spicy shrimp and roasted peppers, whole grain Penne with sun dried tomatoes and corn and butternut squash with sage pesto. Or you can make a salad." He showed her the covered plastic containers.

"Um, yum." She reached for the first one, and smelled it in delicious welcome. "Thanks, brother dear."

"Um, yeah." Austin went back to his cereal, and left her to it, very like a brother might, not a host, for which she was supremely grateful. She wondered not for the first time how long this pretending thing would last. Pretending they were siblings, and her actually mooching off his generosity. She hoped all winter. This getaway was priceless.

She dished herself up a bowl of the Penne, stuck it in the microwave, and set water to boil for Plum Flower tea.

"Richard tells me he astonished and possibly offended you at 3 a.m. jacking off and snorting coke."

Tracy's eyes flew to her forehead, and she bit her lips tight. "That was blunt. He said that?"

"I did!" He yelled from the couch, where he'd been admiring the cheerleader view. "Didn't want you tattling to the hostess with the most-est."

"Well, then, yeah, you really astonished me."

"Not offended? Then why'd you lock the door? I came down to apologize, but you did the running off thing like a virginal school girl." He leaned up on his knees, his arms crossed on the back of the couch.

She chose to ignore the jibe. He would try and turn the tables on her, make it seem like she was the one with the problem. "I didn't realize you were jacking off as well."

"Shit, you're saying I should have finished?"

"By all means. Why don't you----."

"Now, now chillens...." Austin held up his spoon and waved it in the air. "Nobody's judging, nobody's tattling. Let's all take a chill pill."