032:

It was the middle of the night. Richard sauntered out of his bedroom, dressed only in boxer shorts, assuming that Tracy and Raine, Austin and Sabrina were dead to the world. It had been a very dramatic and busy two days. As he flicked the dimmer switch he was surprised to find a face resting against the pink and green flowered couch pillows and staring at his approach.

Tracy stirred, as Richard went into the adjoining kitchen separated only by the reflecting pink counter. He poured water and stood there to drink it, then flopped onto the nearest couch to her, seeing her feet tucked up and her arms cuddled protectively around a pillow glued to her chest. Her hair was wildly tumbling all over the place, far longer than it looked when it was up, as it had always been in his presence.

"Can't sleep?" His voice was so low, she started at its reverberation so close in the silence.

"Um um." She watched the lights play across his softened features. She was wrapped in a Strawberry Shortcake Blanket and her bare feet poked out the bottom and one dangled on the floor.

Richard watched her for signs of unease, but she remained seated, relaxed. For once he wasn't drunk, drugged, sleepy or especially horny, although that status might change depending on if she were flirty or not. He was simply there, and tonight chose to share the ambivalence with this girl who intrigued him as no one else ever had.

"Where's Marie?" Her soft voice sounded like a sigh.

"Asleep. And Raine?"

"I don't sleep with him. But I assume he's asleep too." She wanted to make sure he understood they weren't sleeping together, not because she wanted to seem available to him, not at all. But because she needed him to understand her standards.

He liked that she hadn't left the room as soon as he'd entered, as he thought she might, realizing now her penchant for modesty.

"Are you two having a good time this trip?"

"Under the circumstances, I suppose so." She offered caustically, turning away slightly.

"No more headaches?"

She shook her head slowly. "We should talk about that."

"Yes, we should. But first let me ask you something, just to clarify."

"Shoot."

"Raine? How long have you been dating? You seem to be progressing fairly quickly."

Tracy felt that accelerated heartbeat much to her dismay. That was a rather personal question. She grimaced, glad for the shadows that kept her expression from his prying eyes.

"What makes you say that?"

"Oh come on, we've gone beyond the run around stage, Trace, you and me. Just answer me. You can, you know, just open up."

She pretended to shrug and drew both feet up under the blanket. "I don't know about quickly. It's just happening."

Richard grunted, and leaned back on the sofa. His eyes were glittering slits in the reflective snow scape.

She sighed. "You and Marie are good together."

"I just met her. I don't know her well enough to know if I like her or not, but yeah, it progressed rather quickly."

"Straight to your bed." Tracy quipped snidely, her judgmental side showing.

"Why do you care?" He shot back at her, leaning forward suddenly.

"Oh, I --- well, I just hope that tonight's drama didn't ruin her trip or make her upset or anything."

He snorted. "I doubt it. Intrigue and starlets go hand in hand."