022:

Shopping was grueling to say the least. Shawna had insisted on a girl's day, and since Bridget and Tracy were girls, and available, that included them. Not to mention, it sounded so normal.

Normal was enticing to pop star girls without a childhood.

"I remember girl's day." Bridget whispered to Tracy as they held up a sparkly turquoise long sleeved top for admiration and added it to Tracy's arms. "Mom took us grocery shopping and we each got a candy bar."

"At least you had sisters. All I've got is you. When I grow up, I swear I'm having at least two of each so they all can say they have at least one of the same sex to grow up with." They strolled down the aisle, browsing tie-dye and slinky to their heart's content. Shawna and her girls were on the other side of the store.

"You're obsessed with kids." Bridget laughed good-naturedly. "Maybe you should settle down and marry that Lieutenant you're mooning over. I heard you say his name in the night."

"You did not!"

"All right, I did not." Bridget winked and then added a hot pink camisole to Tracy's pile.

Tracy sighed. "Pretty sure I'll never see him again."

"Have you tried calling him? Why don't you invite him to hang out? You said you went night surfing. That's a start. Maybe he'd go again.... Or even day surfing, and you can show off those alluring curves."

"You make me blush."

"It's what surrogate sisters are for apparently."

"Telling secrets to, or making me blush?"

Bridget's eyes narrowed. "Are you keeping things from me? You have a secret? Out with it." She waggled her fingers expectantly.

"I might just call him." Tracy admitted. "I'm sorry he left Coral's. It wasn't meant to be that way. Nobody else had been invited when I invited him."

"But what, Casey showed up and the actor guys-- you did invite them."

"No way to get them off my back." Tracy grumbled. "Casey showed up with his girlfriend. And she looks awful. She's sick, Bridget, I really think she might need medical attention. Especially since she's pregnant."

"Excuse me? You stepped in what?!"

Tracy nodded as Bridget's eyes widened and then crinkled in irritation. "He wants to get the band back together." She mimicked Casey's voice. "He wants us to tour and do studio time."

"Yeah, but he's not willing to do the actual work." Tracy added a cute dress to her arms, and then adjusted the pile. "This is getting heavy. Are you trying on, or just buying?"

"Buying. He's willing to work, but he'll drag what's her name and the kids around all over the place, and you'll end up babysitting and not be as productive as he wants, and that'll piss him off and yeah--- it's a vicious circle. I'm not going to be a part of that. I'm getting a degree, and moving to Budapest."

Tracy dropped her load on the sales counter and separated their choices. She glanced over at Shawna and Tiffany examining an article far too closely. The thought of shopping made her head ache. In fact, a lot of things made her head ache. Maybe it was the talk of Casey and Jolie and their impending child birth. Or maybe it was the failure with Raine, who she really liked. Or maybe it was the sexy connection with Richard Mann on the dance floor. Either way, she was getting another headache.

She'd brought the Plum Flower, but lately it wasn't helping as much, or as quickly. She rummaged in her purse for her wallet and saw the Excedrin she kept in a baggie for emergencies.

Bridget noticed the pills and rubbed Tracy's shoulders as they waited in line. Shawna had spotted them and was hurrying her girls through now.

"Maybe you need to see a chiropractor, or some alternative doctor." Bridget commiserated.

Tracy nodded, closing her eyes for a minute. "I'll get my eyes checked."

"That too." Bridget moved Tracy's bag to the side and stepped up to pay the cashier who was looking at her rather furtively, trying to figure out if she was who she looked like she was. "Because honestly, that actor friend of yours last night was way cute. You should go for him."

"I'm doing his film, that's good enough. We've already got off to a bad start as well."

"Well, it wouldn't hurt, since you've called it off with Case, for you to get out a little and enjoy the sexier side of life. Sex is a big part of life, Trace, and you're shriveling up without it."

Tracy's eyes crinkled in amusement. "Unlike you, right?"

"I'm enjoying myself. I'm not ready to settle down, that's for sure. But I have got to get back across the puddle and finish the semester. I've got another week. This was a lovely interlude, but I'm probably going to fail Sociology."

"Never. My Bridget is smarter than that. She can pull off Sociology in a heartbeat!" Tracy hugged her best friend elaborately, hamming it up a little for the shop attendants. A group of giggling fans had begun to coagulate near the entrance. She jerked her head at Shawna who had seen the crowd and understood the imminent infestation that would keep them all there for another hour or two.

Tracy kissed Bridget's cheek. "That's why I'm leaving now."

Bridget shoved her back playfully. "I thought you were staying for cinnamon buns."

"Got to watch my girlish figure. And Danny has a Halloween party tonight in HB. Duty calls."

"Go see a doctor, promise?" Bridget eyed her seriously now as it was apparent, and typical Tracy to just walk out in the middle of an activity.

"Okay. I'll think about it." She kissed Shawna and the girls with flighty excuses and a complete lack of remorse and then disappeared through the waiting fans to Jake's sedan parked out by the curb. It was a short hop to the airport, and then she, Danny, Jake, and Jules would be in the air.

****