069:

069:

Tracy bit her lips and stroked the tiny arm again and again. "I wish I could hold him." She looked up at the nurse. "How long until I can hold him?"

"We should know the results of the initial tests soon." A doctor came into the small room, eyeing the three pop stars surreptitiously. He stepped to the incubator and smiled benevolently. "This little guy looks pretty decent. He's not even that low of a birth weight."

"How many weeks do you think he is?" Tracy pulled her hand out and indicated Coral should take her place.

"He's definitely thirty-five weeks. We can actually call that term, but because of the unique circumstances surrounding his birth, we aren't taking any chances." He raised his brows. "I take it you'd like to take him home if the tests come back negative."

"How soon will that be?" Tracy hadn't dared to hope.

"As soon as he's five pounds."

"And how much does he weigh now?"

"Almost four." The doctor was smiling. "If all goes well, a week."

Tracy shook her head. "And when can I hold him? What if I need to move him closer to California? We have major obligations in the next few days, but I can't and won't leave him."

The doctor shrugged. "If the tests come back negative, I recommend keeping him here till he weighs 2500 grams at least-- five and a half pounds."

"I realize that's your optimum, what are your major concerns?"

Now everybody in the room had turned to listen to this interlude.

The doctor was youngish, and very concerned looking. "Low birth weight babies can suffer from a number of complications. Cerebral palsy, impaired immune system, impaired lung function to name a few."

"Can he be moved safely at all?"

"Right now regulating his body temperature is very important." The doctor looked at her critically. "I realize these are extreme circumstances. Very extreme."

She nodded, licking her lips and looking over at Bridget. "As soon as it is feasible, I need to take him to California."

"It will all depend on his test results." He flipped the clip board containing all the recent stats, and then folded it back over and hung it on the incubator in a space just for it. He looked once more at Steven. "If the tests come back negative we will let you hold him right away. When do you expect the funeral to be held?"

Tracy shivered. This wasn't her first funeral, it wasn't her first friend to die, but it wasn't anyone far away on her list either. It wasn't someone she could distance herself from. She held herself stiffly.

It was Coral who answered though. "We can take however long we need to. We'll have his body taken back to California and then we'll see how the baby is doing."

Tracy felt the headache she'd been ignoring get worse. It crossed that threshold from manageable to unmanageable. She decided sitting down would be a better option at the moment. Richard would be the best option.

"Do you--- is there a pay phone?"

"There's a lobby phone." The Doctor recommended looking relieved. He showed her out and she used a calling card to call, thankful that she had one in her purse, and she'd grabbed her purse.

"Hey." Richard's voice loud and clear and strong, and ready to help her. "You okay?" It was a little tense though.

"I'm--- no--- I'm not okay."

"You need me?"

"I do. Hate to say it that way, but yeah. Can you come? We're going to be here a few more days with the baby, and frankly I'm going to pass out before that time comes with all this----."

"I'm coming." Clear, precise, confidant.

"How—how's your leg?"

"It's fine, Trace, has been since I last saw you. It's all good. No worries."

"No." She pulled a chair over and extended the cord so she could rest her head against something cool. "I do worry. You were pushing it in Alaska."

"Especially building the cabin, yeah. But that doesn't matter. What matters right now, is you. Have you--- have you talked to Raine?"

"How? I don't know how to talk to him."

"What about sat phone? They've got to have those on the carriers. He's got that friend, General Colby. He'd do anything, pull some strings for you."

"You're being too kind."

"Yeah, I am, 'cause I am way jealous of your man, but I've told you, I respect your marriage. You need your guy." He sighed. "I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, how's Jolie and the baby?"

"The baby is holding his own in an incubator. We got to touch him through the glass, and if he is not HIV positive we'll get to hold him."

"Well, that's a miracle. I'll put his name on the temple prayer roll. What's his name?"

"That's a great thought. His name is Steven.... Om.... I don't know his middle name. But--- Steven Crandall. Let me ask if Jules knows."

"Trace, you're his momma. Give him his middle name. What is Ray's middle name? Give him that."

"James. But that's the same as Danny then. It's the same as Kirk. Yeah, that will work. Steven James Crandall." Her voice had taken on some life for just a moment. But then her sigh was heard again.

"Trace, hang on, okay?"

"I am sorry I have to ask you to come. There has to be some other way. This is ridiculous."

"I don't know, maybe it is ridiculous. But that's okay. I want to come." He replied with conviction. "I need to be there for you as you were there for me. In Raine's absence, you need somebody. I'm like your brother, remember? We went through this."

"You're not like my brother. I have brothers—and honorary brothers, and you're not any of them. But okay. I appreciate your concern." He heard her quiet sob. "I'm glad you're coming."

******