056

******056:

Henderson had a rather large airfield, previously owned by the government, now turned private. Tracy coasted to a stop, shook out her hair, and flipped the AC off, hoping it wasn't a mistake. It was a short climb to the ground, hauling her little backpack, and the two garment bags containing appropriate wedding clothes, and one bridesmaid's dress. The heat hit her like a furnace-- a volcano furnace, she amended. How could it already be so hot? It wasn't even summer yet!

It was still a walk to the hangar, and then the terminal, and neither thing looked friendly until she saw the lone figure coming toward her-- the heat waves coming off the blacktop creating a fuzzy line between them. She almost dropped the bags right there.

Raine started running, reached her, grabbed her and lifted her against him. He was heedless of her hands full, and his slippery hold, as he kissed her long and unhurriedly letting her know how much he'd missed her. He couldn't stand to be away from her, and needed her in every way a man needed his woman... right now.

He was dressed in service blues as befitted his station. She wondered if he'd be wearing that the whole three-day leave or what. He let her slide down his body, his eyes taking in her cock-eyed sunglasses now, her straggly loose mane of tawny curls and her trembling smile.

"It's been a hard few months, baby." He acknowledged now that they were together and not having to be stalwart and strong on the phone together. He took the garment bags and slung them over his shoulder, putting one arm around her, keeping her close even in the sticky sweet spring sunshine at four in the afternoon.

"You'll never know." She agreed.

He nodded, perfunctorily, his training still resting comfortably on him. He was an officer, and was used to the more formal business-like role. They reached the chain link fenced off area where he'd managed to bring a rented Ford LTD. He also managed to have opened the chain links to get them out without too much fanfare. It must pay to know higher ups. And Raine was practically related to a very high up Army General. She knew that.

The car was running and the AC was on, instantly causing the sweat she'd started dripping between her breasts. The radio was blaring Men At Work's, Down Under. Raine would have turned it off, as he carefully placed the garment bags in the back seat, and then got in on the driver's side, but she stopped him, reaching to slide her hands around his neck and bring him close.

"You okay with this?" She drew his forehead to hers, till they were looking at each other's cyclops eye.

"I'm more than okay. It's the prestigious beginning of the McCaffrey-Maverick dynasty. I'm in awe of God's plan in our lives, for sure, and in awe of this moment in time and in awe of you." He slid his own fingers around her chin and cheeks, pulling her in so he could taste her willingness. Without restraint, Tracy slid over to straddle him, between the steering wheel and his body, she pressed herself shamelessly, insinuating just her palms to rub against his chest, and up all the way to feel his shoulders, his arms, and his face as she sealed their union.

Raine's hands slid to her hips. "Baby, you are hot sexy, so stinking gorgeous I can't get enough of you." He kissed her hard, thrusting, rubbing, biting gently, letting her understand his need, at the same time as his commitment. "You are my woman, you give me everything. I can't get enough of you. Gees, Tracy, I love you so much it hurts---."

"I know." She murmured against his lips, the only sound in the car between songs, that wet shushing of moistened lips.

"I take it you overcame any reservations you were feeling." She leaned back just enough to see his eyes.

"I still marvel that we're here together, that you want me. It's still a miracle to me."

She held her hair away, and slid to the side. "Let's go do this." She snuggled to his side as he pulled out of the small airport parking lot and zoomed back to the little town center.

Bridget and Julian were already at the LDS chapel in Henderson, Nevada to be witnesses to this very discreet and secret wedding taking place. No leaked word to paparazzi, no extra family or friends. A local Bishop performed the joining in a small meeting room, not even the chapel. Afterward, papers were signed and Bridget, who had helped Tracy into the modest long white dress, now helped her into the lace outfit she'd brought as a going away dress, complete with her preferred moccasins.

"I can't believe you did it." Bridget lamented, her voice showing that same awe Raine had expressed, with a slight brush of tears to accommodate the experience. "I just can't believe it."

Tracy pulled her hair into a huge high messy bun, not leaving heated stragglies at all, and checked her makeup in the mirror. "When it's right, Bridge, and this is, then it's perfect."

"I'm glad you think so. I mean, I'm so happy for you."

Tracy whirled, her eyes searching her best friend's. She held her face in her hands and stared her down. "Are you? Are you really? You sound slightly concerned. Do you have reservations?'

Bridget closed her eyes to not have to reveal her inner thoughts to one who knew her so well. "No one can dictate love, Trace, and you've found a form of it, I sense that. I think that love can overcome all obstacles. But I don't say that it's going to be easy."

Tracy let her hands drop. "I know. Nothing in my life has been really easy. But, he's a good man, the best. I am excited to start this phase of life."

"I'm excited for you then." Bridget kissed her nose, brushing off both of their sudden wash of tears, their trembling smiles. She hugged her close once more for good measure. "Thank you for letting me be a part of it."

Tracy turned, mostly to hide her own shaking, quaking, trembling. Bridget's validation was almost enough. Almost.

There was still that nagging undercurrent, but now was the time to set it aside, she told herself fiercely.

Now is the time to commit whole-heartedly, and give it all I have for the rest of my life.

*******