079:

079:

The private meeting with Ralph Healy, Manchester Sunset's producer and Orry Samuelson, Manchester Sunset's director was held at Ralph Healy's offices downtown L.A. Ralph was a relatively young man, maybe forty, with thinning dark blonde hair and a tennis physique. He wore white tennis shorts and a polo shirt with a gold chain around his neck.

Orry Samuelson was sorter than Ralph by about three inches, he had a full beard and mustache, curly brown hair and glasses. He was dressed like a homeless person, ratty jeans, holey sneakers, and a blouse that looked like he'd eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner using it as his placemat. Eccentric, but he had a good reputation.

"Okay, Miss McCaffrey, what's on your mind one day before filming, and don't tell me you're pulling out!" Orry smiled pleasantly, steepling his fingers over his crossed knees.

"I don't want to pull out." Her voice shook a little too much to her own chagrin, but this meeting ahd been her idea and no one else's, and she wasn't about to shirk it now. "It's just this. I've reread the script, the book and the screenplay and looked at all the parts upside down and I can't see any reason to add the sex scenes."

"I knew it." Ralph said with conviction and he and Orry slapped their hands together in a high five. Had they bet on her?

Tracy glanced from one to the other in confusion.

"Orry said the sex scenes aren't necessary in fact, he feels they distract from the film."

"Well, it's just that...." She'd been expecting a fight, not capitulation. What director wanted to cut sex scenes? Sex sold movies. Sex sold music.

"I'd like to film them anyway and then cut them if necessary. We're into production tomorrow and your parts are crucial. And if we go on like we are, on schedule, we'll be in England next week, Paris the following, Wales right after, and Hawaii in the third week will wrap it up. Twenty-one magnificent days, Miss Tracy, Two steamy kissing scenes with a glamorous, very sexy, very rising talented box office draw, the gorgeous Mr. Richard Mann. You can force yourself."

"It certainly sounds like you're impressed with him." Tracy drew in her breath sarcastically. She had the impression of herself digging in her heels. "Listen, I feel really strongly about this. I'd really rather not even go there. There's no need...."

Ralph glanced at Orry and shook his head.

"I'm willing to knock my price down significantly."

Orry's eyes snapped up. "How significantly?"

Tracy cocked her head, her heart sinking. Not like she was the big money maker actress here, but it did take a lot out of her. "One million." She'd been offered four. It was piddle compared to the Hollywood norm.

"Per scene?"

Tracy eyes snapped to Orry's face. "Are you telling me that two kisses are worth two million to you? My kisses? I'm sorry, they're seriously overrated if that's the case."

"This film doesn't need your name, Miss McCaffrey. We cast you at Richard Mann's request and because you fit the part. Confident, athletic, willing to risk, and gorgeous..." Orry leaned toward her across the table enigmatically, his eyes steady and firm. "It needs Richard's name. It needs the kisses."

"Well, I don't think it does. It's got a good strong plot, plenty of non-stop action, and the romance is in the audience minds without seeing the kissing."

"It's not just the kissing, Tracy." Ralph's gluey voice reached her ears through the thick haze that was starting to fill her mind. "Our target audience wants to see your hot ass as well."

"Well, that's not going to happen." She slapped her palm on the table. "I see no reason to bare my ass on the big screen. I'm pregnant, you know. That ass is pretty busy all on its own. " That came out sounding wrong, and she bit her lips. "Look, your flick is fun, it's a good solid sell without all the added sex. I don't need this... at all... I'm a singer, not an actress."

"The success of this film with catapult your name in the industry, and help make Alaska and the next one-- Mongolia-- household words. You need this picture to establish your name and theirs."

She shook her head adamantly. This wasn't going as she'd planned. "Cut the first sex scene entirely, and only one kiss at the end of the second scene-- no ass, no boobs."

"Final offer?"

"One million off."

Ralph smiled tolerantly, obviously thinking that once they got into it she'd capitulate. He pressed a button on his phone and asked the secretary to come in. His eyes never left her face.

"You're an interesting girl, Tracy. It will be a pleasure to work with you."

She stood up and reached out a hand to shake his.

"One million." Orry said with a sigh.

One million a kiss, Tracy thought. And Richard had got the last one for free.

*****