041:

041:

The gym time invigorated and inspired her, and Tracy took to the slopes once again that evening, racing Richard and Austin down the faster runs, jumping moguls, getting munched a couple of times and watching as they munched it as well.

They hit the showers at eight, had a gourmet Mexican fiesta for dinner and thought about going dancing and then decided they were simply too tired, and would rather watch a movie or play a game.

Sabrina called while Tracy was going through Austin's video collection looking for something new, so he got up and left.

Richard came back with his mixed drink and set it on a coaster on the end table, then scooted in behind her on the floor, one leg up and bent behind her, resting his chin on her shoulder. Tracy turned to look at him, smiled and kept flipping through the cardboard box.

"Why aren't you pissed at me?" He whispered.

"I don't know you well enough to be pissed at you. The only person I've really ever been pissed at is Casey." She tried to keep it nonchalant, even though his hands clasped around her middle kept her from breathing deeply. He was far too free with her person, but she'd given him that right from the start, beginning with a slap.

"Everything I like is in direct opposition to your beliefs."

"I told you. I'm not your judge and jury."

"I'm not afraid of Mormonism."

"I never said you were. Why would you think that?"

"I just wanted you to know. It's okay to be yourself."

"I am myself. Most of the time. At least I think I am. Do you think I try to be someone else?" She felt his thumbs stroking the outside of her wrist. "As myself and an engaged woman, I have to ask you to stop flirting with me."

He reared back in mock offense. "I would never----."

She scooted away from him, leggings bunching under her on the tapestry rug. She turned around, so she was no longer in the framework of his legs. "You have been--- you always are. At my dad's party for instance--- the dance there? That was very flirty."

His eyes sparkled. "I wasn't flirting with you at the doctor's. That was purely because I care about you."

She cocked her head at him, he stared into her eyes one long moment, and then busied himself looking through the box of videos. Finally, he came up with a slightly squarer plastic sleeve and held it up triumphantly.

"What about this? Let's play Asteroids. I used to be really good at it."

Tracy crawled over to the TV cabinet and opened the lower cupboards. Sure enough, an Atari 2600 sat nestled among the cords. Richard loaded the game and then took a controller and plugged it in. She used the remote and turned it all on.

"You may have been good at it, but I'm the Queen."

"Oh ho, so you say! I say that's a challenge!"

He scooted closer, knees bent, while she was up on hers, both of them adjusting the controllers as the screen lit up with little round aliens and space ships.

She butted his arm as he got ready to fire. "No holds barred, you're going down."

"Oh, yeah? I see how it is. We once were friends, you're saying?"

The hours slipped by with Pac-Man and Pong bleeps and buzzes filling the room, the fire burning down, the hot chocolate mugs steaming to congealed powder in the bottom cold. And finally, when Richard had won, over and over, Tracy threw her controller at him, jumped up and would have run downstairs in disgust, screaming that he cheated. He happened to snag her leg, causing her to slide in socks on the slippery floor. So he rolled with her, taking the brunt of her fall, and landing her in his arms, rolling on the floor.