018:

"This is really no place for a three year old." Bridget lifted her silver white formal adorned with iridescent seed pearls and sequins that set off her flawless skin and beautiful long auburn hair to perfection as she poised one slender high heeled foot on the red carpet Ray McCaffrey and Trask Wilkie had insisted on putting down for their distinguished guests at the release of their latest song, Hands Off My Liberty.

Julian got out of the limo on his own side, and released Danny from his car seat, as Jake helped Tracy out.

"Carry him." She instructed, afraid he would try and run off, as three year olds occasionally do. She adjusted the straps on her low cut gold designer gown, and fluffed her tawny curls that Gretta had worked hours on earlier. She met Julian and Bridget on the carpet and began the ascent. Camera flashes blinded her, and catcalls and screams filled her ears. Danny buried his head in Julian's neck and reached for Tracy, yanking on her hair.

"I can't take him in this dress or I'll lose the darn thing."

"You shouldn't have brought him." Bridget fretted. "He's too young and impressionable."

"He goes everywhere with me now." Tracy reminded them with a flick of her gloved hand.

"Shame on him." Bridget also waved and smiled. The three of them took their time on the carpet, as they traversed the walkway into the fabulous and showy Plaza Hotel in New York City. Ray actually started his receiving line almost as soon as one passed through the door.

"There he is." Bridget leaned close and whispered, her sing song voice slightly giddy.

Julian shivered. Tracy took his other arm. "It's okay Jules. You'll be okay."

He didn't speak, couldn't. The last time he'd seen Ray and Trask had been at his dad's funeral-- his dad, the leader of their band. It wasn't a coincidence that the release of Ray and Trask's song came on this exact date, October 29th, 1982. One day to the year past David Hamilton's tragic death. The song wasn't a tribute to their former band mate, but the release date honored him in its own way.

Some thought it was not a coincidence that Julian and Tracy, both children of the famous rockers had formed a band and done so well. But Julian and Tracy both knew it had been providence and a complete surprise to find out that Tracy's biological father was Ray McCaffrey. And Julian had run away from home when he was thirteen-- so young, so impressionable-- trying to find his dad in New York, and then being rejected had headed for the coast ready to end it all with one more rejection when Casey had taken him in. The whole way it had come about was more bizarre than fiction.

Ray saw them.

His eyes were the faded blue of the Thames, and squint lines crinkled in relief at their appearance. It hadn't been that long since Tracy had proclaimed her biological parentage, just a few years, and during that time, she'd been so busy with Pepper's fame and fortune, there had been little time to build a relationship with her famous father.

He seemed glad to see her.

"Ray." She said, unable yet to call him dad.

He grabbed her and pulled her close, wrapping his knobby guitar player fingers around the back of her head and kissing her cheek. He pulled her around close to his side, and smiled for the cameras. Then in seconds he had pulled Bridget and Julian in for hugs too.

"The party can start now, my kids are here!" He yelled amid thunderous applause and laughter. Beside Ray, Shawna, his wife smiled in genuine welcome.

"So glad you could make it. Is this Danny? Oh, what a little cutie pie! Come see grandma, little man!" Danny buried his face in Julian's lapel, so the pretty blonde Shawna simply kissed his cheek. Nearby her daughters, Tiffany, Rebecca and Kim stared at Tracy in awe, while the only son of Ray and Shawna, six year old Andrew bounced from foot to foot exceptionally bored. He eyed Danny with interest, the way an older child does who hasn't hung out with babies enough. Danny peered in interest at Andrew too.

Julian started to move on, when Ray pulled Tracy once again to his side. "Honor me tonight, babe." He spoke quietly to her, his enigmatic expression hopeful. Tracy handed her purse that contained one diaper and a baggie of wet wipes to Bridget with a grin.

Shawna kept her place beside her husband, but Tracy joined him on the far side.

"We've had little enough chance to get to know each other." Ray said as others came through the line and shook his hand. He introduced first his wife, and then his daughters, as if they'd all grown up together, rather than having met a sum total of five times over three and a half years.

"I've been swamped with school." Tracy said lightly.

"And other things, I can see." Ray ran a hand through his full head of wavy dark brown hair, settling it in messy array. His face was fashionably scruffy, his brows beautiful and thick, and very expressive as they rose to indicate Danny in Julian's arms.

"It's a long story."

"One you will share with me after the party? Where are you four staying? I insist you join the family and me at our place."

Ray was nothing if not a smooth talker, Tracy thought, in amusement. And she did feel amused--- and included--- and awed. She nodded to him as he greeted some more guests warmly--- so warmly. She took that moment to observe his style. Outgoing? Yes, but in a rather interested in others sort of way. He wasn't a "Look at me—Look at me" kind of guy. And he didn't come across at all like the incredible public personality he had been now for almost twenty-five years. His band, The ReedTones, started in Liverpool, England as had several others of the same time in the 1960's. His had been one of those that made it to the top before breaking up in 1971, and his record sales still topped the charts.

She tried to greet people as warmly as her "father" did, and watched her "sisters" and "Step-mother" for carefully crafted replies and honest compliments. They were all good--- very good--- at it. She supposed they'd been to hundreds of release parties. Ray McCaffrey had been a solo entity for twelve years--- and Shawna was in his backup band. They were a media force to be reckoned with.

And here came the other man of the hour! Tracy looked up as Trask Wilkie, the former drummer of the ReedTones sailed into view wearing a tuxedo, his dark hair and beard accenting a very enigmatic face, with prescription sunglasses covering his eyes in a signature sort of way--- Tracy knew he had some kind of eye problems, but she didn't know exactly what.

"My man!" Trask pumped Ray's palm up and down exuberantly and then they embraced. Both of them looked debonair and incredibly polished. People stopped and stared and cameras flashed when they two got together. "Have you seen Duncan? I wanted to get a picture with him." Trask whirled his finger in the air. "All of us together for the first time since David's death."

The words hit the air like a thunder clap between them, and Tracy's eyes sought Julian's a long way away now under the glitz and glamour of drippy chandeliers and golden wall sconces. He hadn't heard the remark.

But Ray instantly turned to Tracy, one arm around Trask's back, as he propelled him to her side. Tracy put on her brightest smile. Trask Wilkie pulled her in for a hug and a kiss, and Tracy felt her heart flutter. No matter what these guys were to her now--- they had been and always would be her all-time favorite rock and roll artists. Meeting your favorite celebrities, even if you were one yourself, was still overpowering.

His accent was music to her ears, and he smelled divine.

"Young lady, you do your pop proud. Did you bring the group? I have to give that Julian a talking to. He was supposed to call me about----." He was distracted by another photographer showering praises and shaking hands.

Tracy was reminded that until Julian was twelve, he'd visited his dad periodically and knew Trask and her father better than she did. As a very young child, before his parents split up, he had hung out in recording studios and in tour buses with one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.

Music filled the center. Tracy craned her neck to see who her father and Trask would have to play for them and found a young, very popular band tuning up on a small stage in the center of the very large room. She'd met them before--- even had them open for Pepper's a few times. She knew the lead singer was Kristen Courtney, and the band was called---- was called--- Jaded.

Whew! She wasn't losing her mind after all.

*******