025:

Austin closed the door and gave her some privacy as she dropped her heavier blue bag on the floor just inside the bathroom door, and then adjusted Danny's sleeping weight. He'd left a bedside light on after lighting the fireplace, and showing her the sliding glass door that led outside into the snowy backyard, not overlooking the ski slopes, but with the chair lift going by overhead.

There was one queen bed and a crib had been placed at the foot, but she'd never used a crib and didn't plan to now. She almost tripped over Danny's bags, where Richard and Austin had left them. She stumbled to the bed, but the three year old was out like a light, and curled on his side as she pulled down the comforter, and squished the pillows. She cuddled his blankie around him, blessing the new nanny, Monday Mould, for thinking to put him in pajamas and a pull-up before they got on the plane.

The light was dim, but enough for her to see the room was equipped with a chest that had been moved from the foot of the bed to the side, in favor of the crib she wouldn't use. She lifted the lid and found extra blankets. A large television had been placed in the corner, surrounded by the giant floor to ceiling windows, covered right now by floor to ceiling heavy beige with tan threaded curtains. She pulled these back with the plastic wand and held her breath as the moonlight streamed in, reflecting off the snowy backyard. There hadn't been a lot of snow yet, but the mountain resort had been blowing snow for days to be ready for a Thanksgiving opening.

She left the curtains open and padded back to the 1950's style diner table, pulled out a chair and lifted her first bag to it. She would put their stuff in the closet, she thought, amazing energy running up and down her spine.

Raine was here!

Raine had consented to fly up with her. He'd agreed to come to the benefit concert and spend the week skiing. He'd listened while she explained about her strange convoluted life--- her stilted relationship with Danny's dad, her former band leader who she now really despised, and yet couldn't get completely away from.

The little kiss in the doorway at Kirk and Coral's had been repeated.

She twirled and stomped silently--- running in place in exuberance even though it was after midnight. Tomorrow would be a lovely day. Nothing would mar this heart-wrenching excitement.

Austin had a girlfriend. Some young starlet he'd met recently he told her in confidence. Someone looking to be seen. They'd commiserated about the ways of the entertainment field and laughed it off with a couple of winks. Didn't stop him from sleeping with said starlet, did it?

Richard was aloof. He air guitar'ed her, and winked, but didn't offer any connection, and for that she was grateful. He was also there with somebody, although this girl was perpetually high or something.

That part of staying with others was a little bit dismaying, but for the most part, nothing could change how she felt. She'd hired a nanny. Jules and Bridget were together and just down the hall. Life was perfect.

Her bedroom phone jangled into awareness, and Danny started out of a dead sleep before Tracy could locate it and complete a cease fire. She leaped across the bed, grabbing the receiver and rolling onto the floor, smoothing Danny's hair as he settled back into profound slumber.

"Hello?" She whispered.

"Trace? Tracy?"

Everybody she wanted to talk to was right here. That could only be one scrambled voice. Her heart sank.

"We're fine, Case. You don't need to call. It's past midnight." Her tone was weary, having lost all former giddiness. She fingered Danny's hair again, silky soft. Oh, how she loved him.

"Oh, I know you're here, all right. I got a special release to come up for the concert. It's in my best interest to make it a reunion, and I've tested drug free."

"Did you say you're here? In Park City? What?" Her heart that had settled into possible dream-land hoping to end the call quickly, now raced into gear.

"Yeah, I'm here. Staying at the St. Regis as we speak. I'll be at the concert."

"Does Richard Mann know this? Does Jules?"

His laugh was curt and frazzled sounding. "Look, I know you're mad. But it's me, Tracy. We've got history. We've got spark. You'll get over it, like you always do, and we'll set the wedding back up----."

"Casey! You're not hearing me! I don't want to marry you! You've got a wife--- at least a girlfreiend who is expecting your child. Take care of that issue, Gees! Marriage should be based on love and respect and attraction. I'm not any of those things with you. We've grown apart. Seriously. Talk to me about this in the light of day. Better yet, just get it through your thick head, and never talk to me about it again!"

"Come on, Trace. There'll be a reunion, and we'll go on tour in January. It'll be like old times. You, me, Jules and Bridge. Come on."

She thought about hanging up. She should hang up. She held the receiver away from her ear and really contemplated hanging up.

"My kind of life is better for you. You yo-yo back and forth from Idaho to the beach, you don't know how to take care of yourself. If you be with me, you'll have Danny."

She was shaking her head. "I bet you're high again." And she did actually hang up. Then she picked it back up again. He was still there. "Casey, leave me alone, okay?"

"I'll never leave you alone. I need you, Tracy Lyn. You're mine. I found you."

Her fingers shook. "And then you lost me." And this time, she did hang up. And she leaned over to the outlet and unplugged the phone.

*****